Hi! Glad to be a part of the forum officially!

faithmoser

My name is Faith! I’m 19 years old, and me and my boyfriend have lived together for about 2 years! We recently got into fishkeeping when we found out online that bettas need a full setup and heater. This broke our hearts as we both have had a betta as kids and both were kept in vases with no filter or heater): This inspired us to get our own betta and spoil the turd out of him! We have a beautiful Cambodian boy named Tiki and he lives a lavish life in his heavily planted 10 gallon tank all to himself! After he settled in, we thought “hm there’s totally more space on the dresser for a second 10 gallon” so we did that we have a dwarf gourami in there with 2 snails. His name is Jambi and he’s a very happy boy! His tank is also heavily planted. We were told we could keep about 10 chili rasboras in there with him. We had the lfs order some for us and they got 12. Well, we felt bad leaving two all by themselves. They were so young we thought they’d die of stress being just two. So we bring all 12 home and decide that they’re TINY. Like some of them were only a little over 1/4 inch. We decided to keep them in our cycled 6 gallon that we were preparing for a second betta. One by one each day and even three today have died. We only have 6 now. Does anyone know what could have happened? They were acting fine, a little stressed all in one corner but they’d still swim about every so often before going back to the corner. They all ate fine until one would be about to die. It would stop eating, hover near the surface just floating and swimming the tiniest bit every so often basically just turning. And then i wake up to one or two dead. I’m going to attach some photos of Tiki and Jambi and then one of them because they’re seriously tiny. I’ve been feeding them hikari first bites because that’s all they can fit in their mouths.

Attachments

• 6760FD8A-4190-434F-A3FD-1D02A091639B.jpeg
    6760FD8A-4190-434F-A3FD-1D02A091639B.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 20
  • A5E70D7C-D80E-463D-AC4D-8D9CF04A02E8.jpeg
    A5E70D7C-D80E-463D-AC4D-8D9CF04A02E8.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 20
  • F8247079-1534-41FA-A77E-3F78D6889125.jpeg
    F8247079-1534-41FA-A77E-3F78D6889125.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 19

grac3

welcome to fishlore!

what's the water parameters in the 6 gallon? how long were they in there until they stopped eating?

btw Tiki is gorgeous! but he's not a cambodian, he's a dragon scale hm ;)

Marlene327

Welcome! Tiki is beautiful! I really hope the rest of your littles survive. Some will have questions and advice for you.

faithmoser

welcome to fishlore!

what's the water parameters in the 6 gallon? how long were they in there until they stopped eating?

btw Tiki is gorgeous! but he's not a cambodian, he's a dragon scale hm ;)
the parameters are ammonia - 0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 ph-7.2

and yes! he is a dragon scale halfmoon but when i was trying to figure out his coloring type i was told cambodian, i could be wrong but it doesn’t matter anyways because when me and my bf see any that look like him we cali them Tikis he’s claimed the whole color type ❤️ but they have been all eating since day one but whenever one dies it will stop eating and just float near the surface barely swimming and then i wake up to one dead. There’s even been times when I checked on them, they were all 100% normal and then i leave the room to do some cleaning and i come back and ones dead on the floor of the tank. it’s so sad ): i have their light on the moonlight setting with a paper towel taped over it to make it even more dim because i feel like it may just be stress. they’re so young and the 2 that seem a little older are looking nice and red and the rest are still very pale after 6 days of having them): i have indian almond leaf tea in there and the water is dechlorinated ): i tried to hard for these little guys, i wish i knew they were so sensitive. Since i had my lfs order them specifically, i feel like i personally snatched them from the wild and sent them to their death bed ): i’ve been burying them in house plants except the last three because i’m going to ask for a refund. 3 was a reasonable loss but half of my school? getting pricey ):
Welcome! Tiki is beautiful! I really hope the rest of your littles survive. Some will have questions and advice for you.
Thank you! I hope they do too, they’re so sweet and fun to watch! And they deserve to grow up :) i really hope i get the information i’m looking for, it seems chili rasbora aren’t talked about so much

Strider1520

Welcome! Tiki and Jambi are very beautiful. Sorry to hear of your loss - the same happened to me with Neons (by the end of two weeks, I had 4 of the original 9). Welcome again.

grac3

the parameters are ammonia - 0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 ph-7.2

and yes! he is a dragon scale halfmoon but when i was trying to figure out his coloring type i was told cambodian, i could be wrong but it doesn’t matter anyways because when me and my bf see any that look like him we cali them Tikis he’s claimed the whole color type ❤ but they have been all eating since day one but whenever one dies it will stop eating and just float near the surface barely swimming and then i wake up to one dead. There’s even been times when I checked on them, they were all 100% normal and then i leave the room to do some cleaning and i come back and ones dead on the floor of the tank. it’s so sad ): i have their light on the moonlight setting with a paper towel taped over it to make it even more dim because i feel like it may just be stress. they’re so young and the 2 that seem a little older are looking nice and red and the rest are still very pale after 6 days of having them): i have indian almond leaf tea in there and the water is dechlorinated ): i tried to hard for these little guys, i wish i knew they were so sensitive. Since i had my lfs order them specifically, i feel like i personally snatched them from the wild and sent them to their death bed ): i’ve been burying them in house plants except the last three because i’m going to ask for a refund. 3 was a reasonable loss but half of my school? getting pricey ):

Thank you! I hope they do too, they’re so sweet and fun to watch! And they deserve to grow up :) i really hope i get the information i’m looking for, it seems chili rasbora aren’t talked about so much
sounds like some sort of parasite? how did you acclimate them?

there isn't really a colour type for Tiki, if you search up 'red dragonscale betta' you'll get similar looking bettas. you could say he's a red base dragonscale

Jo7984

Welcome :)

I have Chili Rasbora too.
And I also lost some / lots when I got them.

Mine were also at the top of tank at times, most died overnight.

I've had them only since 15th May so still learning. I'd say only now that they are fully coming out at meal times and not hiding so much.

I have dropped the temp of the tank to about 23.5°C.
I turned up the sponge filter so it creates more bubbles and the HOB I run on there I allowed that to trickle so it makes some bubbles too (before I had it all baffled to stop the flow)

My PH is 6 and my GH and KH are very low.

I have also had to put a lot of floating plants in. It covers most the top of the tank now.
And I have also had to stain the water heavily too.
I have IAL in there and wood but for the stain I have resorted to some rooibos tea as they seemed more scared in clear water.

Mine are in a tank on their own though so I dont have other fish to consider.

20210602_103824.jpg

Good luck with them.

grac3

Welcome :)

I have Chili Rasbora too.
And I also lost some / lots when I got them.

Mine were also at the top of tank at times, most died overnight.

I've had them only since 15th May so still learning. I'd say only now that they are fully coming out at meal times and not hiding so much.

I have dropped the temp of the tank to about 23.5°C.
I turned up the sponge filter so it creates more bubbles and the HOB I run on there I allowed that to trickle so it makes some bubbles too (before I had it all baffled to stop the flow)

My PH is 6 and my GH and KH are very low.

I have also had to put a lot of floating plants in. It covers most the top of the tank now.
And I have also had to stain the water heavily too.
I have IAL in there and wood but for the stain I have resorted to some rooibos tea as they seemed more scared in clear water.

Mine are in a tank on their own though so I dont have other fish to consider.

20210602_103824.jpg

Good luck with them.
irrelevant but wow, that tank is gorgeous

Jo7984

irrelevant but wow, that tank is gorgeous

Ah thanks.
It's kind of a work in progress now cos I've had to throw extra stuff in and move things to see every side of the tank for when they were dead / dying!!
I've had to shove plastic plants at back near filter to slow the flow in the tank etc too.

Also wish I could perfect the art of taking a photo of the aquarium without having reflections in it! Haha :D

Catappa

I kept Chili Rasboras for many years and never had a death. Maybe I was just lucky? They were wild-caught. I kept them in a well-cycled, established tank (more than half a year in semi-blackwater conditions (dim lighting, hiding places, Catappa leaves.) They had a few tankmates with similar habitat needs and some Neocaridina shrimps and assassin snails. It was a school of 12 and the tank was 110 liter (29 gallon). Even though they are tiny, they enjoy lots of swimming room.

I hope you figure out what's killing them. Sorry for your losses.

faithmoser

Okay everyone! Update time:) I took them back to a different LFS because they had other chili rasboras that they could be with once they got to adult size and the store i bought them from never carries chili rasboras so they most likely would have been stressed in their group of 5. Upon showing the fish store owner a photo of the chili rasbora dead, he determined they all had a bacterial infection. He kindly took them from us and were so happy they’re gonna get medicine and heal up. I feel horrible half of them died from this and i couldn’t tell what was wrong. They were dropping like flies ): I’m going to call today and see how they’re doing. Does anyone know how i should go about getting a refund on the ones that died? The guy at the store i got them from wanted to give us other fish to make up for it but we decided to keep my DG alone in his 10 gallon since he’s so happy and already has snails that he interacts with. He’s definitely not lonely and we don’t want to risk stressing him out! We ended up leaving the fish store with no refund or fish and said we’d come back next week to see if he had a betta we liked. The thing is, if that betta ends up dying we don’t want to have issues with refunds again. So we went to petco and saved poor Mr. Big Fins and couldn’t be happier about it. So now we just need our refund. I’m willing to pick out a few supplies to reduce the amount of money he has to refund. Like i think i might grab some fish food and an algae brush and he can subtract those off the refund? Idk but it’s very hard trying to do this with a small business. I wanted to support a local fish store and i feel both the owner and us got ripped off by the distributor): especially since the other LFS has the same distributor and never gets tiny sick ones. And the guy we bought ours from says this happens everytime he orders them. I feel so bad but still feel as though I should get at least half a refund. But i’m new to the hobby and not sure if there’s different customer service etiquette in local fish stores vs petco

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SlyKallie
Hi!
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies