Hi from Pennsylvania!

mikki080

Hi everyone! My name's Mikki. I'm a 30-something year old mother of 2 kids, a dog, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and inside my 55 gallon tank, I have 2 handfuls of fish, 3 african dwarf frogs, 4 mystery snails and 5 or 6 ghost shrimp. I set up the tank a little over 2 months ago. Struggled pretty hard with cloudy water at first (yay nitrogen cycle) and have finally gotten that under control. I bought some fish from liveaquaria and some from Petco. Got some live plants from Etsy. Added my fish and now they're almost all dead from Ich. I've treated with Coppersafe, heat and aquarium salt so far. This is day 4 of treatment and I have 1-2 dead guys stuck to the filter each morning. I'm honestly ready to throw in the towel here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not knowing which store the ich came from, I don't know who to blame. So the blame just goes to myself for buying and adding lots of stuff at one time.

While I have a post going, can someone tell me: do you recommend Fluval Stratum as substrate or river rock type gravel? I have river rocks now, but am thinking of getting some fluval stratum to add around the plants. Might as well get it 100% how I want it set up since I won't have any (many) live fish by the end of the month. Would love to add more plants.

Note on the picture --- this pic was taken a few weeks ago, before I made some changes to the tank setup and before the liveaquaria fish were added. I no longer have the goldfish and the substrate has been reduced to be about a 1/2 inch deep.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 17

BigManAquatics

Welcome!

ProudPapa

Welcome. I hate to further confuse the issue, but I like to use pool filter sand for substrate.

mimo91088

Welcome aboard. I see you got censored in your introduction post, so I think we'll get along just fine lol

HupGupp

Welcome - take heart, we all ride the learning curve the first few months. It gets easier as you figure things out, and you've come to the right place to help with that.

mikki080

Welcome - take heart, we all ride the learning curve the first few months. It gets easier as you figure things out, and you've come to the right place to help with that.
Thank you! Makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

HupGupp

Thank you! Makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in feeling this way.
You've got lots of company. I've been back in the hobby for about 6 months and I did about everything wrong at first and the things I did right was by accident half the time ;).

fallfever

Welcome aboard! I've done this for years and still find myself slapping my head at some of the things I do. I like the way your tank looks now, but I'm with Jetts, I prefer sand if I had to choose. Never had the need for more expensive substrates, even with plants. But go with what you think looks right for your tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Neptunethebetta
20 Gallon Tank Hi!
Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies
Views
R3licx
Replies