Hi Fin Red Banded Goby Shrimp Partners

Esimm03
Hi,
So I recently picked up a hI fin red banded goby, apparently his shrimp died in the LFS a few months ago, he is doing well in my tank, I was wondering if I added a candy pistol shrimp or something similar would he repair with it? Or will he pair with one of my current sexy shrimp?

IMG_20180318_124037.jpg

jamie carmichael
Xbox62 Ive always been wondering are sexy shrimp really called that or is that just a name aquarists like to call them? I know there is a latin name for them - as with all fish- but was wondering if that's what they are called in stores? Sorry to hijack your thread.

Esimm03
jamie carmichael said:
Xbox62 Ive always been wondering are sexy shrimp really called that or is that just a name aquarists like to call them? I know there is a latin name for them - as with all fish- but was wondering if that's what they are called in stores? Sorry to hijack your thread.
Hi,
It's fine, they are called Thor amboinensis but nicknamed sexy shrimp .

Ethan

jamie carmichael
Thanks they had me really confused

Maggie321
Happy bday!

Maggie321
Get him a pistol buddy. I don't believe the sexy shrimp will pair with anyone.

Rojer Ramjet
Maggie321 said:
Get him a pistol buddy. I don't believe the sexy shrimp will pair with anyone.
Sexy shrimp are anemone dwellers, aren't they?

Regardless, they won't pair with anything.

Use a breeder net to introduce the goby and shrimp - makes pairing much easier.

Esimm03
Rojer Ramjet said:
Sexy shrimp are anemone dwellers, aren't they?

Regardless, they won't pair with anything.

Use a breeder net to introduce the goby and shrimp - makes pairing much easier.
Ok, I may get one, I was just worried as he was spending all his time behind the rockwork, but now (introduced him yesterday) he is much happier.

IMG_20180318_185219.jpg

Can I add a pistol at any time in the future? Or do I need to do it asap?

Ethan

stella1979
The goby will probably appreciate a buddy, but I wouldn't say it's an emergency.

Rojer Ramjet
You can introduce the pistol shrimp anytime; if you don't use a device to "introduce" them to each other, they may take awhile to meet on their own - or they may never meet. I always use the breeder net trick; it's worked 100% of the time for me, and I've 6 different gobies with shrimp pals.

Maggie321
I just put mine in a net and let him out of the net into the goby's hole directly. I would never be able to catch my goby to put him in a breeder net

Esimm03
Ok, he's such a character, he sits on a rock and when I get near, darts into the rockwork, only for a small yellow head to pop out someware else, lien whack-a-mole .

I'll have a hard time fitting a breeder box In the tank, so may just let them find their own way, how much should I pay for a pistol? There's one on eBay for £28, seems a bit much for a 3cm invert.

Ethan
IMG_20180318_185716.jpg

Esimm03
stella1979 said:
The goby will probably appreciate a buddy, but I wouldn't say it's an emergency.
I'll put it as a priority, trying not to spend my bday money all at once, I only went to the LFS for a blasto and came back with him , spent tonnes

jamie carmichael
Not too sure but 28 pounds sure does seem like a lot. See if you can pick them up from a breeder

Esimm03
jamie carmichael said:
Not too sure but 28 pounds sure does seem like a lot. See if you can pick them up from a breeder
Ok, there's a place in Oxford I may check out, been there once and it was incredible . Otherwise I'll keep searching eBay and shpock and possibly gumtree.

Ethan

Esimm03
Out of curiosity, what else would he pair with?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom