Hi everybody

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am just starting out as a real aquatic hobbyist as a senior in H.S. I researched info on getting a fish tank for a week, then asked my 10th grade biology teacher (and soccer coach) if I could have one of his tanks. I got a 10 gallon acrylic tank with a penguin 125 bio-wheel filter (already used, good for cycling) and a heater which is keeping the temp at 78 degrees. I have an air pump in a treasure chest, creating bubbles, and two fake plants, and a small rock tunnel for fish to hide in. All the mentioned stuff is relatively small, and I have lots of tank room. The tank has been set up for 4 days now, and I plan on getting my first cycling fish on Wednesday. My readings are all good. What should I get as a good fish to start with? I was thinking about either 5 cherry barbs or 5 zebra danios to help cycle the tank.

Here it what I want in the long run:

5 or 6 cherry barbs
1 or 2 Dwarf Gouramis
1 Cordoras Catfish

Does this sound okay. Do I need to get or do anything else?
Thanks, awesome site!!!

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi! welcome to fishlore.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Anyway, you need at least 3 corydoras... the more the merrier.....and I think 5-6 cherry barbs or zebra danios is a little too much.

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi jri4. i read some where that its better to drop flake food in a tank twice daily for at least a week before deciding on putting fish in a tank, food will break down in tank and start the cycle or if u have a friend who may let you borrow some of his/her mature media all the better. im no expert here but going by what i've read and heard. can take a few weeks to have the tank ready for fish. danio's are hardy fish and i know people who use them to help the tank go thru the cycle but not sure if it causes stress to fish. best things come to those who wait ;D i know its hard and you want fish in your tank but in the long run it will be worth it. all the best.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks guys! I am using a filter from a previous tank. I just learned about the fish food thing today and will start that tonight. Thanks for info and suggestions! Since barbs are schooling (or scoaling?) fish, I figured 5 would be a good number, but I know a lot in the tank. How about 4 with a Dwarf gourami and a cory or two? Or perhaps I will reseach Otos, I do not know much about them (the point being I want an algae eater I thought a Cory would do the job. Will he?)

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
best algae eater i have is a common plecostomos. sucks all algae from glass. does a real good job but the downside is they can grow quite big within a year. very peaceful fish which does not take any notice of the other smaller fish i have in my tank. my Kissing gourami also does a good job of sucking from glass but other gouramis i have dont bother.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kissing gouramis get a foot long so that's definitely a no.

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow thanx Stradius011 , u've educated me there, i was given the kissing gourami by a neighbour a month ago who had enough of looking after fish. its the size of my pearl/blue/ and gold gouramis so i thought it would stay that size. now you got me thinking ummmmm anyone like to buy a kissing gourami ?????? ;D lucky my tanks big enough then.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! Heres some interesting reading for you to do

Carol

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

If you already have bacteria to seed your new tank, then you might be able to go ahead and get those cherry barbs now, instead of using fish you don't intend to keep. I think though that 5 cherry barbs would just about do it in the amount of fish you could have in that tank. Since cory cats help keep the bottom clean of flakes and pellets that make it to the bottom, you might be able to get 3 small corys like the pygmy corys for that tank. Cory cats don't eat algae, and you don't always have to have an algae eater in your tank.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I went with 5 Zebra Danios Today. I also bought a test kit, cycle, and tap water purifier, along with a hood and light for the tank. I seem to like the Danios, they are fast and exciting, but I am afraid that they are staying in the top corner of the tank. Hopefully they'll adjust. I feel I acclimated them well:

1. 20 minutes in bag in tank
2. 10 minutes with added cup of tank water to bag
3. 10 minutes of another cup of tank water
4. released

Should I have done anything else. I also added the cycle and water conditioner, to hopefully protect the guys. What else do I need to know? Temp is 78 degrees, nitrite was at 1.0 (yikes, but cycle should help, right?) and nitrate was 10-20, ph is 7.2.

I like the idea of a few corys, they are awesome ( can anyone post a pic of an emerald cory?), but I really like the guorami. Would a lone gourami be okay by himself in the tank, or must they be put in pairs or schools?

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi jeri, it's neville ;D, welcome to fishlore, i thnk 5 danios and 3 cories will be enough for a 10 gallon tank.............gouramis r not schooling fish, i think they can live alone; but don't buy kissing gouramis please, they r so annoying, i hate them, sorry :-X...............

good luck

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi jri4, welcome to fishlore! You are lucky your tank already has some of the bacteria needed for its cycle. Remember to keep an eye on those tests however, and change 50% of the water if the numbers get up: Ammonia and Nitrite should stabilize at 0, if they are as high as 1 you should be doing water changes. The Nitrate will go up, and I change water if it gets up to 20.
Corys are cute, and help clean the bottom, but I LOVE otos. They are small, and help keep your algae down, even cleaning plant leaves. If you want to add interest and help clean algae you can get shrimp, they don't add appreciably to the bioload, but do help clean. You are a good age to get into fish, if you are headed out in life fish are one of those things you can keep almost anywhere, from college dorms, to apartments that don't want pets. So they can fill in that need to have someone to talk to!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wanted otos, but no store around me that I know of sells them. Are there any good LFS in NE Ohio? In a bit I will test my water, but my Danios are seem to not be suffering at all since their entry. They LOVE it!

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got done testing my water. It is decent, but not yet fully cycled. Here are the readings

Temp 80F (working on cooling it down a few degrees)
Nitrate 15
Nitrite .8
GH 120
Alkalinity 100
pH 7.2

Do I add more Cycle product to the water daily? I did a 20% change on Wednesday and will do another on Saturday. My water is slightly cloudy, and I hope it clears up. If not, I will buy water clearer this weekend. Anything else I should need? The Danios do not seem affected by the .8 NO2. They are seeming quite aggressive after dinnner time. Two of them were going at each other in circles for a few minutes until I tapped the glass and broke them up! No harm done, however.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The cloudy water is a bacteria bloom, that is good, it will clear on its own. What was the ammonia? You didn't include that number in your test info. I would think more vigorous water changes would be helpful, either more water each time or more often. The bacteria colony you are growing in on all serfaces, you don't loose that much through water changes, just don't scrub filters, rocks or glass at this point. Also later on when you do find your filters in need of rinsing, do it in old tank water, not with cold or hot, or anything that might contain chlorine. That will keep the most bacteria alive that you can, so you don't go through mini cycles all over again.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Little late but...Welcome to Fishlore

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't have an ammonium test... I am using Jungle Labs 5 n 1 strips with NO2 and NO3, GH, Alkaliinity, and pH.  I am on quite a budget, and those master kits are quite pricey.  I am saving all my money to pay payments on a brand new 2007/2008 Escape :....and sell my 1984 Mustang Convertible :'(

Wish I could do a water change tommorrow, but I have school alll day and work all nite.... dang

Thanks for the info on the cloudiness.  Hopefully it goes away soon so I can take some pics!

thanks atm

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sounds like you are doing an excellent job there jri4! have your danios livened up yet? they are usually completely barmy!! mine are!! i know the master test kits sound expensive, but they do over 700 tests, where-as your test strips dont last anywhere near as long, so "per test" the liquid test kits are actually cheaper. the liquid ones are more accurate. there has been alot of doubt about the acuracy of the test strips. you'l be cycled soon, in the mean time to keep your danios healthy keep up those water changes! they'll appreciate it! have fun! and welcome to fishlore!
tan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom