29 Gallon Tank Hi Everybody! Newbie from Texas here :)

ChristinaW

Hi everybody,

So, I decided to get some fish...I bet that's how most of these newbie threads start :) I went to the local fish store, which in my small town means petsmart an hour away (I know, I know). I came home with a 29 gallon setup and some quick start and they told me I could add fish in 24 hours. (There should be a law against this advice, really) I followed this advice and quickly realized the error, now I'm stuck cycling my tank with fish. I am so thankful for this community! I have been reading threads on here and I think I have a good idea what to do to save my fish but I sure wish I had found you guys before I got started.

I have 3 Danio GloFish, 1 Male Guppy, 3 Panda Corys, and 2 Kuhli Loaches. I lost one male guppy and one panda before I realized what was happening.

Now that I am a smidgen wiser, here's what I'm doing:

Dose entire tank with Seachem Stability daily. Testing with API master test kit daily. 50% water change as soon as I get .5ppm ammonia (about every 2 or 3 days). Dose new water with Prime.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks now and I haven't lost any fish, everyone is happy and active...but I'm not cycling either. 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates at every reading. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it will go? LFS said I'm doing water changes too often but I want to keep my fish safe even if that means daily changes.

Any and all advice welcome! :)

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Yes they are wrong about the water changes. Do them just like you have been. The Nitrites will be roughly 3 weeks before you see them show up. Could be sooner. Nitrates will be a ways down the road. Save your test liquid. You have a lot of water changes to go. Usually will take about a month give or take. Its good you are willing to do the changes.

The Nitrate test needs to be done exactly how the directions say or it will not work.

I would do all of your tests on your tap water also. Ph on both tap and tank. This is going to be a test you will need to watch also.

It sounds like you have been reading some good stuff! ;)

ChristinaW

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Yes they are wrong about the water changes. Do them just like you have been. The Nitrites will be roughly 3 weeks before you see them show up. Could be sooner. Nitrates will be a ways down the road. Save your test liquid. You have a lot of water changes to go. Usually will take about a month give or take. Its good you are willing to do the changes.

The Nitrate test needs to be done exactly how the directions say or it will not work.

I would do all of your tests on your tap water also. Ph on both tap and tank. This is going to be a test you will need to watch also.

It sounds like you have been reading some good stuff! ;)
Thank you StarGirl. This makes me feel better. I will keep doing what I’m doing.

Ph in the tank seems to sit right around 7.4-7.6. Im on a well with a softening system. I tested my tap water and the Ph there is 7 and ammonia 0.

StarGirl

Ok thats good. It always helps when cycling to know all of your water numbers. Sometimes people cant figure out why the Ammonia wont go down or there is Nitrates and come to find out its in their tap water already.

Marlene327

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us and lots of help! Stargirl is ace about cycling and so much more!

ProudPapa

Howdy neighbor (I live between Navasota and Hempstead; I'm guessing not many other members know where Chappell Hill is without googling).

And I agree with the others, it sounds to me like you're doing everything right (though I probably wouldn't spend any more money on the Stability when this runs out).

ChristinaW

Howdy neighbor (I live between Navasota and Hempstead; I'm guessing not many other members know where Chappell Hill is without googling).

And I agree with the others, it sounds to me like you're doing everything right (though I probably wouldn't spend any more money on the Stability when this runs out).
Wow, I am amazed to find a local on here! This forum just keeps getting better :)

jtjgg

hi and welcome,

we pass through Chappell Hill on the way to the Blue Bell factory :)

sounds like you're doing it correctly.

if you don't start seeing nitrite or nitrate next week, you can skip a water change and dose Prime. Prime will detox ammonia for up to 48hrs. so it would be water change w/ Prime, 2 days later dose Prime again, 2 days later water change w/ Prime, repeat. this way you can keep a slightly elevated amount of ammonia for a longer period of time to allow for the bacteria to grow to match the bioload in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views