Hi and question about faulty fluval flex

Memorytank

Reaction score
Hi guy's,
Hope to learn lots from you all as i start to ask questions and restart my hobby.
I previously had a fairly decent size tank and kept tropical fish about 15 years ago but unfortunately when i moved house i had to rehome them and i gave my tank away.
Im now in a position to start again but at the moment can only fit in a small tank so went out and bought a fluval flex 57l in white but while unpacking noticed the bottom left front corner had terrible silicone sealant and a small chunk missing it looks like a kid has done that, theres a little missing in back corner as well as the front, would you guys return this and swap it as thats what im thinking but wanted to check im not being dramatic as surely there shouldn't be silicone missing and the tank looking cheap from the front as my eyes are drawn to the bad silicone when its on the stand.
Screenshot_20200603-000554.png
20200602_235619.jpg
20200602_235451.jpg

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
I would exchange it. Anytime the sealant looks wonky I get nervous.
I have a fluvial flex as well and my sealant does not look like that at all.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would return it, especially since it's an expensive name brand tank. If you don't want to go through all that you could also reseal or patch it yourself with silicone

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
Hi BNBetta, thank you thats what i was thinking but 1. Didnt know if i was overreacting and 2. If all the flex tanks were similar but if yours isnt i will try and exchange at the shop.

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
EmbersToAshes said:
I would return it, especially since it's an expensive name brand tank. If you don't want to go through all that you could also reseal or patch it yourself with silicone
Thank you for your help i think you're right and i will call the shop and see if they have another before i drive to them to exchange or ask them to order another if not.

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
Yep. I have the same one you do (57 l/15 gallons) but mine is in black. I personally LOVE mine and have had no issues with it at all.

I do not think you are overreacting at all and exchanging it is exactly what I would do.

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
BNBetta said:
Yep. I have the same one you do (57 l/15 gallons) but mine is in black. I personally LOVE mine and have had no issues with it at all.

I do not think you are overreacting at all and exchanging it is exactly what I would do.
Thats reassuring thank you, i love the look of the tank apart from that small problem and as i can only fit a tank of this size in my house it ticked all the boxes for me. The shop did definitely have one more in black like yours when i bought mine but not sure if they have any more in white, i love the black one as well but my wife preferred the white to match our furniture so i just went with that but I'll check them out when i get to the shop if they'll let me unpack them to pick a good one.

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my black one. I really liked the white one but I was worried it would show algae too easily.
Excuse the fact that it’s sideways. Fish lore likes to turn my photos sideways when I post them from my phone lol

Attachments

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
BNBetta said:
Here is a pic of my black one. I really liked the white one but I was worried it would show algae too easily.
Excuse the fact that it’s sideways. Fish lore likes to turn my photos sideways when I post them from my phone lol
Your tank looks great i really like the way you've set it all up with the dark substrate to blend in with the black tank it looks very natural i bet your fish love it, I hope to have some nice plants in mine like that. If mine ends up looking anywhere near that I'll be very happy.
Does the flex front make any difference when viewing from the front?
I may ask to look at the black one if they still have it as well as i may be wrong but perhaps the black one's are finished better although maybe i just got a bad one.

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
No. There is no difference in viewing from the front. The curve of the glass doesn't effect anything at all.

The only thing I have done to the tank is modify the outflow because I have an elderly betta who lives in there and the flow was a little too strong for him. I tried using plants to break it up but they weren't enough so I just slipped a couple of sponges over it and no problem.

Thank you for the compliments. I really love this tank. It's my favorite. I love the natural look.

I also love this tank because it's small enough for me to move and handle on my own if I need to, but still big enough to have some stocking options. I love that the filter, pump and heater are all hidden in the back.

I am actually considering getting another one.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Memorytank said:
Hi guy's,
Hope to learn lots from you all as i start to ask questions and restart my hobby.
I previously had a fairly decent size tank and kept tropical fish about 15 years ago but unfortunately when i moved house i had to rehome them and i gave my tank away.
Im now in a position to start again but at the moment can only fit in a small tank so went out and bought a fluval flex 57l in white but while unpacking noticed the bottom left front corner had terrible silicone sealant and a small chunk missing it looks like a kid has done that, theres a little missing in back corner as well as the front, would you guys return this and swap it as thats what im thinking but wanted to check im not being dramatic as surely there shouldn't be silicone missing and the tank looking cheap from the front as my eyes are drawn to the bad silicone when its on the stand.
I'd return it or exchange before resealing. New bond doesn't mesh well with old bond all the time and water still goes where it wants. Its kind of a gamble if you aren't familiar with sealing. Plus you never know if someone already tried to reseal it and returned it and this is now your problem. If you are going to reseal it, I've heard its better to either reseal the whole thing, or the whole side and after you seal it, let it sit for a few days before adding water. Then when you do add water, most professionals from what I understand say you should put some water in it and let it sit for a few days and add more water and let it sit for a few days because a lot of leaks won't reveal themselves within the first few minutes or hours so to speak. Also have you put water in it to see if its leaking? I might have to reread. I usually use newspaper or paper towels on all new tanks for a few days to see if there are any leaks.

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
Presidenchill said:
I'd return it or exchange before resealing. New bond doesn't mesh well with old bond all the time and water still goes where it wants. Its kind of a gamble if you aren't familiar with sealing. Plus you never know if someone already tried to reseal it and returned it and this is now your problem. If you are going to reseal it, I've heard its better to either reseal the whole thing, or the whole side and after you seal it, let it sit for a few days before adding water. Then when you do add water, most professionals from what I understand say you should put some water in it and let it sit for a few days and add more water and let it sit for a few days because a lot of leaks won't reveal themselves within the first few minutes or hours so to speak. Also have you put water in it to see if its leaking? I might have to reread. I usually use newspaper or paper towels on all new tanks for a few days to see if there are any leaks.
Hiya and thanks for the reply.
I was reluctant to try and repair it as it was a fairly expensive tank to me that i saved for by doing some overtime at work when it came up so i felt i should return it.

No i didnt try it with water i had just unboxed it and noticed what a mess the sealant was so i took some pics and put it back in the box to decide what to do.

In the end i couldnt get hold of the shop on phone or through facebook so i drove there and they were very apologetic and had been busy since reopening from the virus lockdown and i guess forgot about me.

In any case they had one white and one black left and got both out for me to see,
The white one had better sealant than mine but still not done well.
The black one was a lot better so i changed to the black one. The staff member told me he believed fluval use a machine to apply the sealant so if thats true it must be faulty as they looked like they had been done in the dark which is a shame for tanks that are quite expensive over here in the UK at £125 or around $157.

OP
M

Memorytank

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help earlier today with my problem i really appreciate it.

I tried to call the store a lot but it was always busy and i couldnt get them through facebook messenger so i ended up driving to them about 40 mins away from my house in the hope they had another tank, they were very apologetic and said they had been very busy. They had one white and one black left and got them both out for me to view, the white was better than mine but still had visible flaws in the sealant even the shop staff said it wasnt great but the black one was a lot better and looked pretty good so i went for that one instead and then i changed the gravel i had bought with the white tank for a darker colour i thought would suit the black tank better.

I just need to decide on plants now whether real or fake as I'd love some real so may go that route as I've not had real ones before so that will be different and exciting.
I will pop some pics up when its set up soon and hope to learn lots from you all.
Thanks again im very glad i joined on here.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah always easier to return than make a project out of it and void returning. I spent like $500 for my first tank and stand so I get it. Best of luck. Im starting to get into real plants also because my fish do a lot of swimming and horseplaying and I find fake plants tend to be too sharp for mine plus I love the beneficial properties of real vs fake plants.

New Threads