Hi all!

0ceanfloor

Hello everyone, I'm 22, graduating college this fall, and new to fishkeeping / aquariums. At present, I have only one female betta fish. Her name is Miyu, and I got her as a baby a few weeks ago. She has grown a lot in such a short time! She's growing to be so pretty, black with blue patterned fins.

I've spent the past month nonstop doing research and watching YouTube videos about fishkeeping, especially wrt bettas. I was very upset to learn that fish are marketed so badly, especially goldfish and bettas! Most people think they can live in the tiniest spaces as long as you throw them a fish flake every now and then, and it's totally because of the way they're marketed. I've been telling as many people I can about this, and about the nitrogen cycle, because I think these things should absolutely be common knowledge.

I love bettas and I'm also interested in starting a small shrimp tank soon. Since I live in an apartment, I can't do much more than that, but when I'm able to move into a house I'd love to have some more betta / shrimp tanks. I have two non-fish pets: a dog and a cat.

Since she is so small, I had Miyu in a 3 gallon to start, but I've built a natural planted 5 gallon that is currently cycling. I'm very excited to move her into the new tank and think she will love it. One of my favorite things (which I have in both tanks) are marimo moss balls. I was astounded to learn they can outlive you, if they're taken care of.

I look forward to taking part in the community here and learning a lot. Thanks for reading!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
0ceanfloor said:
Hello everyone, I'm 22, graduating college this fall, and new to fishkeeping / aquariums. At present, I have only one female betta fish. Her name is Miyu, and I got her as a baby a few weeks ago. She has grown a lot in such a short time! She's growing to be so pretty, black with blue patterned fins.

I've spent the past month nonstop doing research and watching YouTube videos about fishkeeping, especially wrt bettas. I was very upset to learn that fish are marketed so badly, especially goldfish and bettas! Most people think they can live in the tiniest spaces as long as you throw them a fish flake every now and then, and it's totally because of the way they're marketed. I've been telling as many people I can about this, and about the nitrogen cycle, because I think these things should absolutely be common knowledge.

I love bettas and I'm also interested in starting a small shrimp tank soon. Since I live in an apartment, I can't do much more than that, but when I'm able to move into a house I'd love to have some more betta / shrimp tanks. I have two non-fish pets: a dog and a cat.

Since she is so small, I had Miyu in a 3 gallon to start, but I've built a natural planted 5 gallon that is currently cycling. I'm very excited to move her into the new tank and think she will love it. One of my favorite things (which I have in both tanks) are marimo moss balls. I was astounded to learn they can outlive you, if they're taken care of.

I look forward to taking part in the community here and learning a lot. Thanks for reading!
Welcome!!! Picture of your little girl?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
0ceanfloor said:

Welcome to Fishlore!!

OP
0ceanfloor

0ceanfloor

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Welcome!!! Picture of your little girl?
Sure thing, here's some pics. The new tank, the day i got her, and today! The water is brown because of a betta leaf.

miyu tank.jpg

miyu1.jpg

miyu2.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator