Hi all! New here, starting 20g!

jmitchell

Reaction score
Hello Everybody, I'm LJ, and I'm relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby! As of now, I'm planning out a 20 gallon freshwater tank that revolves around 8 tiger barbs and a red tail shark (these fish were my brothers and have lived together peacefully for 5 months) I need some suggestions on new tankmates! I will try to upload some photos ASAP, but my digital camera is MIA at the moment. Either way, can't wait to start posting, Good day y'all! -LJ ;D

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
HI and welcome!  Fishkeeping is so rewarding.   Tiger barbs are such a cool fish!

Unfortunately, I would not suggest getting any additional tankmates.  The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per 1 inch of adult-sized fish.  Tiger barbs can grow to be 3 inches, so 8 of them would put you at 24.  A 20 gallon would already be overstocked.  Add the red tail shark that can grow to be 6 inches, and you're at 30 inches in a 20 gallon. 

Shrimpy

Reaction score
jmitchell said:
Hello Everybody, I'm LJ, and I'm relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby! As of now, I'm planning out a 20 gallon freshwater tank that revolves around 8 tiger barbs and a red tail shark (these fish were my brothers and have lived together peacefully for 5 months) I need some suggestions on new tankmates! I will try to upload some photos ASAP, but my digital camera is MIA at the moment. Either way, can't wait to start posting, Good day y'all!   -LJ ;D
Welcome try getting cherry barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and tetras, or a pleco

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome try getting cherry barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and tetras, or a pleco
ensure that's a bristlenose pleco NOT a common pleco. the common pleco gets huge and will die in a 20gal tank. cherry barbs are always a good choice!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom