Hi all! New here, starting 20 gallon!

jmitchell

Reaction score
Hello Everybody, Im LJ, and Im relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby! As of now, Im planning out a 20 gallon freshwater tank that revolves around 8 tiger barbs and a red tail shark (these fish were my brothers and have lived together peacefully for 5 months) I need some suggestions on new tankmates! I will try to upload some photos ASAP, but my digital camera is MIA at the moment. Either way, cant wait to start posting, Good day y'all! -LJ ;D

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!  Fishkeeping is so rewarding.   Tiger barbs are such a cool fish!

Unfortunately, I would not suggest getting any additional tankmates.  The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per 1 inch of adult-sized fish.  Tiger barbs can grow to be 3 inches, so 8 of them would put you at 24.  A 20 gallon would already be overstocked.  Add the red tail shark that can grow to be 6 inches, and you're at 30 inches in a 20 gallon. 

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore LJ! good luck with your tank! sounds like you've got your hands full!
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, i love the little tiger barbs! the RTS is a pretty cool fish as well. welcome to fishlore!

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Shrimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
jmitchell said:
Hello Everybody, Im LJ, and Im relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby! As of now, Im planning out a 20 gallon freshwater tank that revolves around 8 tiger barbs and a red tail shark (these fish were my brothers and have lived together peacefully for 5 months) I need some suggestions on new tankmates! I will try to upload some photos ASAP, but my digital camera is MIA at the moment. Either way, cant wait to start posting, Good day y'all!   -LJ ;D
Welcome try getting cherry barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and tetras, or a pleco

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome try getting cherry barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, and tetras, or a pleco
ensure thats a bristlenose pleco NOT a common pleco. the common pleco gets huge and will die in a 20gal tank. cherry barbs are always a good choice!

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!!!