Hi All, Need Veteran Advice.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Recently installed Ehiem Canister filter to planted, cycled 55 gal tank using Fluval 70 HOB. How long until the Ehiem filter will be seasoned (bioload) properly to allow removal of the Fluval?

Information on tank as follows:
Water parameters: 7.4,0,0,15 Temp. 77’
55 gal actually 48 gal (taking into account the 3” of substrate, driftwood, rocks and plants)
1 – 3” Dwarf Gourami
6 – 1-1.5” Black Skirt Tetras
7 - .5-1” Rasboras
1 – 3” BN Pleco
5 - .5-1” Ghost Shrimp
4 - .5” Nerite Snails

Plants: Java Moss, Hornwort, Java Fern, Crypts,

Thanks

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
3 weeks would be a good safe bet. Understand however, when you pull the hob filter there is a good chance you will start a mini cycle due to the bacteria being less concentrated over the 2 filters until the canister catches up, but that should only last a few days.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquatickeeper said:
I will put down the temp from 77 to 74 degrees. Your skirt tetras and BN pleco need cooler water
But the rasbora prefer warmer water and are a bit more delicate. 74 is pushing it for them while 77 should be mostly comfortable for all of his fish.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What rasbora do you have?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrBryan723 said:
3 weeks would be a good safe bet. Understand however, when you pull the hob filter there is a good chance you will start a mini cycle due to the bacteria being less concentrated over the 2 filters until the canister catches up, but that should only last a few days.
Thanks, that is my main concern. Would it need to cycle and would the fish be safe. Anyway to prevent it, would keeping the filters together longer help.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Thanks, that is my main concern. Would it need to cycle and would the fish be safe. Anyway to prevent it, would keeping the filters together longer help.
After 3 weeks it shouldn't matter. Your tank will have as much bacteria as it can hold, but taking out the material will reduce the amount temporarily until it can get back up its numbers. I haven't had a new tank cycle on my for many years because I seed my media but it can happen. It's not a full cycle tho because you already have the 2 different colonies you need so they will process ammonia to nitrite to nitrate right away, just not as much of it until they replinish. But just to be safe, check your water parameters to make sure ammonia isn't climbing too high.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrBryan723 said:
After 3 weeks it shouldn't matter. Your tank will have as much bacteria as it can hold, but taking out the material will reduce the amount temporarily until it can get back up its numbers. I haven't had a new tank cycle on my for many years because I seed my media but it can happen. It's not a full cycle tho because you already have the 2 different colonies you need so they will process ammonia to nitrite to nitrate right away, just not as much of it until they replinish. But just to be safe, check your water parameters to make sure ammonia isn't climbing too high.
Thanks again for your help to a newbie. With all the info out there, it sometimes becomes so confusing.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, harelequins need warm water. I'll do one of two things:

1. Rehome the harlequins and lower the temperature to the low 70s.
OR
2. Rehome the skirt tetras and BN pleco and don't change the temperature.

Your current stock shows temperature incompatibilities, and with a temperature that high, the skirt tetras and the BN plecos will have a shorter lifespan

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can always take the media from your HOB and put it directly in the cannister now.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jmarks said:
You can always take the media from your HOB and put it directly in the cannister now.
Was not sure I could do that. Something to think about. Thanks

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquatickeeper said:
Yes, harelequins need warm water. I'll do one of two things:

1. Rehome the harlequins and lower the temperature to the low 70s.
OR
2. Rehome the skirt tetras and BN pleco and don't change the temperature.

Your current stock shows temperature incompatibilities, and with a temperature that high, the skirt tetras and the BN plecos will have a shorter lifespan
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 29 gal I use as a quarantine tank. I'll move the Harlequins.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom