Hi all long time no see!

ncje

Reaction score
Well its been awhile to post here but life etc got the better of me.

Everyone doing well over here in Tokyo, my angels are all huge and are about to be split up. I was just reading Isabellas touching thread and agree mine have become a nuicance in that area..... water change time; move a few things to clean angels all over me grrr

Anyway I have decided to keep just one pair. Purely based on the fact I want to maintain a perfect tank with great water conditions and with everything else I need to drop back to fortnightly water changes. So Ill just have my 2 peppermint cats and two angel (paired). Sad to see them go but on the upside my brother in law here has just cleaned out a 100 gallon he had doing nothing that will become their home. SO I guess four angels in a 100 gallon is quite a nice place to be. He will add some dither fish so should be a happy little home.

Anyway back to work... hope everyone is well, as well as their owners of course

EDIT: Wanted to add a note for Isabella my beautiful potted plants are suffering... some almost gone. My Angels seem to enjoy destroying the tank nipping at the plants non stop has taken its toll. I try not to over or under feed but I guess their growth has determined things. Yeah my angels are crazy..... non stop eating, destruction machines.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep life keeps us busy sometimes Glad things are going well for you. Good to see you posting again.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey Ncje ... welcome back!

Well, I have the same situation in my 30 gallon tank, where the baby angels are (though not such babies anymore, they're so big already!). I had quite a few very nice Amazon Swords in my tank. All that is left of them are the fragile skeletons of the plants, rather than the plants themselves. My tank no longer looks they way it used to But ... I still love my angels, I don't care for a few plants.

It's just the baby angels that eat the plants, not the adult pair. Any idea, perhaps Carol, as to why only the babies eat the plants and not the adult pair? More disturbingly: do you think the adult pair will destroy my plants in the 75G? The 75G plants will cost me a lot, so I want to make sure they won't destroy my plants!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome back, had wondered where you had disappeared to. Glad to see you have returned.

Rose

OP
N

ncje

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Well shipped the unit out today. Now I am left with 2 sunset blushers and 2 peppermint cats. I didnt feed for a couple of days because I wanted to send them of with limited pooh power in the bag.

Anyway just treated the rest to the weekly water change and a good feed. The last two angels look so free. I expect they will add some growth in the next few months then I will post a pic of them in their 55 gallon home alone. Well the little peppermints are there but they prefer the bottom. So open swimming is all theirs

I expect some nicer finnage due to the reduction of tank aggression.

EDIT: Its been a few hours since the water change and already I noticed the pair bond improvement with the others gone.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella sorry I waited so long to answer, but my idea is that instinct tells young fish to hunt for food (as they would in the wild) and the young angels are eating micro organisms, and tiny bits of algae(aucwachs grow in algae) off your plants and thus destroying them when they peck at them. The adult angels have learned by experience that you will supply them food, and maybe the micro organisms don't interest them anymore. Now remember this is just my idea because fish spend their days in the wild hunting for food to survive.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh Carol, it's OK You've already answered this question elsewhere

OP
N

ncje

Reaction score
HI again. Another quick update. I have never seen the male angel in my pair have such nice fins. After a little over a week they have not one nip mark that was a usual part of the constant territorial battles that used to occur.

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
NCR,
Hi, I'm Jim. I'm new to this website, and just set up a 42 gallon hex with 9 little dime sized angels. I read what you posted about yours and was wondering if you had any pictures, especially of the male with the long fins. I am having a ball with my little guys and just posted some pictures of my blushing Lois and wondered what a sunset blusher looks like.
Oh, and my daughter and her friend are DYING to visit Tokyo someday... lol

New Threads