Hi all /I have a fissue! 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by fivendime2, Mar 30, 2010.

1. fivendime2

fivendime2 New Member Member

Hi All,
    My name is Ginger I'm a newbie from N.Y. It's a great site you have here! Well, I seem to have a problem in my tank, it looks like fin rot. I brought home 3 new fish a month ago. The new fish (Tiger Barb) had fin rot and gave it to 3 other fish, a Ropefish (RIP), a Bala Shark, Clown Loach and starting to attack my Tinfoil Barb. I brought the Tiger Barb back to the store, and the employee promised that the fish was not sick, that my fish are being bullied.

Well, I didn't go with my intuition and waited a week to treat them while thinking they were getting, "Beat Up", and by week two my fish were worse the Tiger barb died and a couple days later my ropefish. I figured the Ropefish's pectorail fins were so short she hadn't have a chance for survival.

The illness started going away after about 7 days, So I did a water change and changed the carbon in my tank. Now, my Bala Shark and Clown Loach are showing signs of fin rot again, but I also see one of the new fish chasing the Bala Shark. I treated them in the past with Aquarium Salt and Mardel Maracyn-Oxy, which is a non antibiotic. I did research online and saw that fin/tailrot is a gram negative bacteria that should be treated with a antibiotic, but I wanted to try the least toxic possibility.
    If anyone cold give me any advice, would you be so kind?...thank you :)

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Maracyn 2 is quite effective for finrot.

3. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

Fin Rot esults, plus one more problem

I used the Maracyn 2 and did a 25% water change after the complete cycle. I was tols to use anti-bacterial food with the Maracyn 2, and did so.
    Now my Gurami hasn't eaten anything in 5 days :( His stomach is protruding so big, it looks like he will explode!

I think the medicated food is the culprit, it was pretty large food like white peppercorns, and took a while to absorb in the water. I think this food could have caused a blockage in the Gurami's insetines. I tried the peas, lastnight and this morning but he wont eat. I even put him in a goldfish tank with the peas for about 10 mins. still nothing!!
    When I put the peas in the community tank, all the other fish are eating them, what can I do?

I read on my disease guide that if this isn't a blockage, it could be dropsy. Dropsy seems to clear up with gram negative anti-biotis, the same medicine I used for the fin rot.

4. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

fivendime2: Welcome to Fishlore!

Dropsy? Most fish don't recover from it. It seems that even though we know the strains of bacteria that causes this symptom should be treated with such and such meds (therefor some fish meds advertise their product as effective against dropsy), the hard truth seems to be that by the time we can see the "pine cone" effect it is too late no matter what we use. The infection likely caused irreversible damage despite the fish being still alive: Me, personally, I assume a fish with dropsy is in terminal stage and euthanasia becomes an option [a painful one nevertheless].

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    Sorry its under these circumstances though :(

Some issues you could be having, are from a tank that isnt cycled..do you know your exact readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? what test kit do you use ?
    fin rot is NOT contagious but the ways that it is caused, can be...some causes can be bad water parimeters, fin nipping that wasnt kept clean with prestine water, and ammonia are a few of the major ones.....I also agree that bullying can be the issue...you have a bunch of fish that arent compatable...tiger barbs are BIG nippers and need schools of 6 or more.....that way the agression is kept in their school not on other fish....balas will break that tank and cause a major issue...they like schools also but can get over a foot big....with that being said, WHY did the store sell you those fish? they are to blame for doing so ...

I think at this point finding some prime or amquel+ and doing DAILY water changes to keep the fish healthy, is going to be the best bet.....and if you can post what test kit and what your exact readings are right now, that will help allot :) Good luck!

6. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Epsom salt will help with intestinal blockage. Add 1 tsp per gallon of water.

7. Shawnie

loaches, gouramis, and catfish wont tolerate the salt IMO :(

8. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

Salt bath for the gourami in a separate tank would work, I think. :) That's a lot of catching fish though.

And welcome to Fishlore, Fivendime. :sign0016:

9. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

Hi All and thanks for the reply,
    I added some new info about my tank, you click on tank info for the readings. I'm trying to add a pic on this post to show you the Gourami's condition. I use Teta Test Laborette, for my water testing. My hydrometer is reading 5PT on salinity, so I don't know i I should or could add more salt to the water.
    I was really thinking about taking the fish out and rubbing his belly!! I'm really hurt, to see this animal suffering :(

I don't think any of this would happen if I didn't buy new fish. The one fish that seemed to do fine through all of this is now the one who's dying.
    At this point should I quarantine him with salt & peas? How long? I can put him in a 1 gallon bucket, which is a little bigger than the goldfish bowl I had him in lastnight.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

647.jpg
    This is one of the new fish that beats up my Tiger Barb, even I thought the Tiger Barb was aggressive, so whoever sold me this fish really made a mistake!!!

11. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

**Here is a picture of my Gourami's current condition, with the Bala Shark in the backround. (You can see the Bala Shark's fins sarting regrowth from the fin-rot)
    648.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

My gourami before he was sick and the first sign of fin-rot or not?
    [​IMG]

13. midthought

I think that's a Leporinus fasciatus. My boyfriend's mother keeps two. They grow to 12" long and should be in tanks 4 feet long so they have room to swim. Per  :

14. ldbrown3138

They will be fine with 1 tsp per gallon. When I was working in a pet store we kept all our tanks with salt (Sodium Chloride) at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon. It really helped control Ich outbreaks. Epsom Salt is Magnesium Chloride and is qute an effective medicine for an intestinal blockage. The concentration will be reduced with every water change, it is a one time use medication.

15. Shawnie

fivendime, the tank is stocked with fish that just are NOT compatable...and the use of salt, is irritating them even more....the cycle isnt complete as you have a nitrite reading....your bala doesnt look like he has fin rot, he looks like hes been picked and nipped at a ton...and the Leporinus fasciatus is a mean bugger who doesnt belong in there :(

if you can get some stress coat+ and vita chem, id do daily water changes and get the meanie out of there....prime or amquel+ will keep the fish safe while cycling completes........mr gourami looks a bit bloated but a piece of pea and fasting a day should help him allot

Im going to respectfully disagree...especially if you read the OP's number 9 post...her salinity is already way too high for the fish in her tank ....fresh water fish in home aquariums, just do not need salt and its more of an OLD school method.....theres much more natural fish friendly ways to deal with such things ...but again, thats my opinion and the salt is too much already as those fish are stressed to the max IMO...

16. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

Thank you, I'm going to do the water change again today and get the stress coat and vita chem for them, and see if the store will take the Leporinus fasciatus back.

My Gourami is still alive and looks like he is going to explode any second!!! If he is sick and explodeds wont my whole tank become infected?
    Confused & Sad :(

17. midthought

He's very unlikely to explode or even burst, but infection to your other fish really depends on what's causing him to swell like that. If it's something communicable, chances are the other fish are already exposed to it even without any bursting of your DG. Someone else might have more info on what the swelling could mean though. Sorry you're having issues. :(

18. OP
    OP
    fivendime2

I believe the swelling is either Dropsy or medicated fish pallets that may have caused blockage (which was the last thing he ate over a week ago)

19. Shawnie

if you have a breeder net/box, id put him in there with maybe some java fern ...that way you can fast him and target feed him ....as well as keep him close to the top as he is a labyrinth fish that needs the air....the piece of pea will help him move things out if he is constipated....

20. ldbrown3138

Why is the salt content in your water so high? Have you added salt? Do you use a water softener?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice