Hey! Trying to be well educated before starting my first proper tank!

Mumble

Hey everyone,

As perhaps many of you before, I had some pet fish as a kid and I now realize how poorly I treated them. After hearing a friend started keeping fish recently, I've been exploring my options and doing proper research, and I am getting more and more excited to start my own aquarium and this time do it properly and make sure to give its residents the love and care that they deserve!

Hope to learn lots from all of you :)

Cinabar

Hey! Welcome to fishlore! This is a kind and knowledgeable community that I’ve learned lots from myself. I’m glad there’s been quite a few people picking up fish keeping as a hobby during the pandemic. More friends!

A quick tip for you: when starting out it’s guaranteed that something will go wrong. Just take a step back and don’t panic. Stress can really ruin the hobby for you. Relax, take things slowly, and enjoy your mini ecosystem

Mumble

Hey! Welcome to fishlore! This is a kind and knowledgeable community that I’ve learned lots from myself. I’m glad there’s been quite a few people picking up fish keeping as a hobby during the pandemic. More friends!

A quick tip for you: when starting out it’s guaranteed that something will go wrong. Just take a step back and don’t panic. Stress can really ruin the hobby for you. Relax, take things slowly, and enjoy your mini ecosystem
Thanks! I am a bit of a control freak so I'm trying my best to be as prepared as possible, but I'm sure there's many things that are better learned in practice from trial and error, and I'm okay with that!

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore
You'll get the advice you're looking for here

HupGupp

Hey everyone,

As perhaps many of you before, I had some pet fish as a kid and I now realize how poorly I treated them.
Welcome! You've inspired a bad comic, apologies ahead of time :

20210617_102400.jpg

Mumble

Welcome! You've inspired a bad comic, apologies ahead of time
Inspiring anyone with anything is a win for me haha

ForceTen

One thing I want to warn you about. Cycling. You do not need to spend weeks and or months waiting for the tank to be cycled.
Order a bottle of Seachem Prime and a bottle of Seachem Stability.
The Prime is a water treatment and should be used before anything is put into your new tank.
The Stability is a liquid beneficial bacteria solution. Read the directions on the Stability bottle or Google the instructions. It says you can add fish immediately. I would wait a couple days and put a couple cheap fish in to make sure all is well.
You can thank me later.

TheAnglerAquarist

Hey everyone,

As perhaps many of you before, I had some pet fish as a kid and I now realize how poorly I treated them. After hearing a friend started keeping fish recently, I've been exploring my options and doing proper research, and I am getting more and more excited to start my own aquarium and this time do it properly and make sure to give its residents the love and care that they deserve!

First of all, thank you for doing research before hand! It will help you so much in the long run. And second, WELCOME! You will find that you fit in well here and people can relate to you often. It is extremely comforting here

Dechi

One thing I want to warn you about. Cycling. You do not need to spend weeks and or months waiting for the tank to be cycled.
Order a bottle of Seachem Prime and a bottle of Seachem Stability.
The Prime is a water treatment and should be used before anything is put into your new tank.
The Stability is a liquid beneficial bacteria solution. Read the directions on the Stability bottle or Google the instructions. It says you can add fish immediately. I would wait a couple days and put a couple cheap fish in to make sure all is well.
You can thank me later.

I disagree. That’s bad advice. No tank will be cycled after a couple of days. If you add fish then, it’s called a fish-in cycle and there is a right way to do it.

Doing a fishless cycle is much safer for the fish. Both types of cycling will take 4 weeks on average.

To the OP, hello and welcome ! Best advice I can give you is don’t spend too much to start with. Go with a basic set-up, and take the time to learn what works for you and what you like. Then you can start upgrading your equipment.

But get the biggest tank you can afford, as the bigger it is, the easier it is to keep stable. Contrary to what people think, a bigger tank is a lot easier than a small one. Especially for a beginner, but for anyone.

TheAnglerAquarist

I disagree. That’s bad advice. No tank will be cycled after a couple of days. If you add fish then, it’s called a fish-in cycle and there is a right way to do it.

Doing a fishless cycle is much safer for the fish. Both types of cycling will take 4 weeks on average.

To the OP, hello and welcome ! Best advice I can give you is don’t spend too much to start with. Go with a basic set-up, and take the time to learn what works for you and what you like. Then you can start upgrading your equipment.

But get the biggest tank you can afford, as the bigger it is, the easier it is to keep stable. Contrary to what people think, a bigger tank is a lot easier than a small one. Especially for a beginner, but for anyone.
I agree with all of the above

Strider1520

Welcome. You’ve come to the right place!

SpottedKit329

Hey everyone,

Same with me, We got goldfish at Walmart and put them in I think a 20 Gallon and got a pleco to 'clean the tank' (which they don't clean your tank, they make it worse)
and I for some reason never looked up how to care for them, And we never cycled the tank. Then one got a swim bladder issue and we fed it peas, idk if we even boiled them like you should, and eventually 1 of them got bullied, and I think you could see literal BONE
So we basically accidentally abused fish, To this day I regret not looking up how to care for fish, and I watched YouTube a lot back then, so I should have watched fish videos, but I didn't

TheAnglerAquarist

Same with me, We got goldfish at Walmart and put them in I think a 20 Gallon and got a pleco to 'clean the tank' (which they don't clean your tank, they make it worse)
and I for some reason never looked up how to care for them, And we never cycled the tank. Then one got a swim bladder issue and we fed it peas, idk if we even boiled them like you should, and eventually 1 of them got bullied, and I think you could see literal BONE
So we basically accidentally abused fish, To this day I regret not looking up how to care for fish, and I watched YouTube a lot back then, so I should have watched fish videos, but I didn't
We all make mistakes, it’s ok because you learned from tragedy

86 ssinit

Welcome to fishlore!! Yes you will find lots of help here. Read through it and don’t rush into anything. patience is the name of the game :).

As stated bigger is better! Don’t buy kits! Only thing you’ll keep from the kit is the tank. Everything else is undersized so you’ll go back and buy the right stuff.

My suggestion is a 29g tank a marineland 350 filter a 200w heater and a vivagrow led 24/7 light. With decorations and gravel this should all cost around $200. Yes these are all cheaper products but they all work great. Look on eBay and Amazon for best prices. Also online from petco/petsmart. These stores match their online prices at the store.

Good luck and keep asking questions!! :).

ForceTen

Its only bad advice if you believe that a long drawn out cycle is required to start a fish tank.
I believed it before, but now I know better.
Before I set up my last tank an old man at an old pet store in town gave me his lowdown on cycling. He told me he would sell me the BB and the fish the same day and if they died he would replace them. Of course he wanted to check my water parameters before he would make the bet.
I was in mid cycle when he told me this so I just bought some Stability. Added two capfuls on the first day and then 1 capful the following days for 7 days.
I added fish on day two and all are still alive to this day. My water parameters are almost perfect as well. And It took only a few days. Not weeks or months.
I have since helped a friend doing it this way and he was just as successful as I was. He added fish the very first day he added the Stability.
I personally will not wait for a cycle again. I will allow a day or so to add fish. But I will add only a couple cheap fish to be certain all is well.

Dechi

I personally will not wait for a cycle again. I will allow a day or so to add fish. But I will add only a couple cheap fish to be certain all is well.

To me the value of the life of a fish has nothing to do with price. A « cheap » fish deserves to live a decent life just as much as a pricey fish.

I’m not into the hobby to do things as fast as possible. I’m in it to try and give my fish the best possible life. And that takes time. Fish keeping is the best hobby to teach patience.

shattles10

I also just recently started about two months ago and joined this forum a month ago and the amount of information I have learned is insane compared to what I thought I knew. I also used seachem prime and stability and added fish on day 1 and my ammonia may have reached 0.75 at the highest (WC immediately) with 7 fish in a 75 gallon. This forum saved quite a few fish lives though, only lost one but I think it was something to do with swim bladder from the way he was swimming! Best of luck to you, I’ll be learning with you!

MickSG

Its only bad advice if you believe that a long drawn out cycle is required to start a fish tank.
I believed it before, but now I know better.
Before I set up my last tank an old man at an old pet store in town gave me his lowdown on cycling. He told me he would sell me the BB and the fish the same day and if they died he would replace them. Of course he wanted to check my water parameters before he would make the bet.
I was in mid cycle when he told me this so I just bought some Stability. Added two capfuls on the first day and then 1 capful the following days for 7 days.
I added fish on day two and all are still alive to this day. My water parameters are almost perfect as well. And It took only a few days. Not weeks or months.
I have since helped a friend doing it this way and he was just as successful as I was. He added fish the very first day he added the Stability.
If I dropped a 10 inch common pleco into a 10 gallon betta tank, it doesnt matter if the tank has been cycling for months, I would run into ammonia pollution issues. On the other hand, if I dropped a single guppy into a 100 gallon brand new tank, then water quality would likely be fine for quite some time. My point is, a tank isn't simple cycled or not cycled, it just has the ability to handle a certain biological waste load at any point in time. A mature tank exposed to high load conditions will handle much more load than an immature unloaded tank.

You can extend the capability by changing water frequently, or adding chemicals like prime, purigen, activated carbon or zeolite. So while I don't disagree that you can add some fish on day 1, your fish might have an unnecessarily rough time.
Also, hi Mumble, glad to welcome another potential addict.

veggieshark

Welcome back to the hobby.

If you can borrow a sponge filter from a healthy tank, or if you have a friend who will let you put a sponge filter in their tank for a while, you can jump start your tank.

You could start a sponge filter in a bucket while you are doing your research on tanks and fishes. By the time you set things up, you should have your filter mature enought to jump start your tank (the bucket will essentially be going through fishless cycle, so you would ned to follow that procedure).

ForceTen

To me the value of the life of a fish has nothing to do with price. A « cheap » fish deserves to live a decent life just as much as a pricey fish.

I’m not into the hobby to do things as fast as possible. I’m in it to try and give my fish the best possible life. And that takes time. Fish keeping is the best hobby to teach patience.
Fish life is a subject of its own. And you can bet I'm not the most patient man. But my comments are based on science and are being used as an alternative to traditional cycling.
My comments were to only allow the OP to see there are more than one view on starting an aquarium as cycling is clearly the most talked about topic on this board.

Mumble

I'm intrigued how an introduction post can turn into such a vivid discussion on cycling a tank haha

I'm planning to do a DSM Planted tank and take things slow from there so I'm fine just going through the cycling process, I don't feel the urge to rush into things (besides I wont have proper transport for a while so I'll be starting with things I can get shipped here anyways.. the fish will come when I'm ready to get them here)

Thanks for all the input though, and of course there's never one perfect solution, but in my plans there's plenty of time for traditional cycling so I might as well do it that way :)

Royan

I'm intrigued how an introduction post can turn into such a vivid discussion on cycling a tank haha

I'm planning to do a DSM Planted tank and take things slow from there so I'm fine just going through the cycling process, I don't feel the urge to rush into things (besides I wont have proper transport for a while so I'll be starting with things I can get shipped here anyways.. the fish will come when I'm ready to get them here)

Thanks for all the input though, and of course there's never one perfect solution, but in my plans there's plenty of time for traditional cycling so I might as well do it that way :)
Good luck and enjoy the process! Personally, it's been so much fun to get into the hobby and slowly watch my tanks mature. You should take a picture after you finish planting and do a update when it matures!

JLAquatics

Welcome to Fishlore, Mumble! I just wanted to chime in to give you a welcome myself. For any additional questions you have, feel free to make additional threads just like your welcome post here on Fishlore. We only want you to be successful in this amazing hobby, it is definitely worth it. I also want to give you another little reminder for future reference;

Just remember, the aquarium hobby is not black and white. There are many members on here that do things differently in regards to their tanks, it is about finding what works best for yourself and especially your fish, no two aquariums are ever the exact same. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Laur3nLotus
Replies
Views
Lucy
5 Gallon Tank Hey!
Replies