Hey ... so, i bought a hang on external filter and now my aquarium hood wont clo

1. theaquarist

theaquarist Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey ... so, i bought a hang on external filter and now my aquarium hood wont close ... helpp!!!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Welcome to FishLore!
    Can you post a picture so the members can see how the hood and filter look?

3. Aquarium Newb

Aquarium Newb Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I'm with lucy. A pic would help us help you because there are several ways it could not close based on different hoods. And if its just a small gap at the front or sides or something I wouldn't worry too much, I have had african dwarf frogs and betta which are all known to jump out of tanks, and even though my lid has a slight gap they have never got out.

4. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Photos will help us.

But in general, you often need to do some cutting to get a good custom fit. How to do this depends on what kind of cover you have.

A "coping saw" is a good hand tool for many of these jobs. I have a band saw that can work for some. A power jigsaw or scroll saw can be nice.

Some lids can be cut with scissors or shears, or a utility knife.

Some lids have snap-out sections, etc.

5. Bhuij

Bhuij Member Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I've always used the cheap saw on my pocket knife to cut out the back of the lid to make room for a HOB filter haha. Not real pretty but it gets the job done.

6. OP
    OP
    theaquarist

theaquarist Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Heii i m so thankful of you guys helping but the filter doesn't work so i'll buy another filter maybe this time internal.... thanksss sooo muck yall:;hi1

7. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +46
    How large is the aquarium?

Also, what kind of filter did you get that didn't work. Maybe it just needs to be primed or something. Some HOBs take a little trick to get them started.

Maybe we can help make it work. I have had good luck with both types.

The HOBs tend to have more space for the filter and biosurface. But the internal ones are usually self-priming, and silent. There is good and bad in both, I guess.

8. Jchamgirl

Jchamgirl Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar issue. I need to buy a new filter and lid also. Need recommendations. Would like a lift able lid for feeding.