Hey Richie, some advice needed.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My shrimp keeping started as a whI'm and has turned into a passion. Come on guys, it's an easy jump, they are just so cute, lol.

My first 5 were from petco, that's the whI'm part. My next batch came from an on line breeder, thus starts the passion. And with the passion, I put a lot of work into creating a happy shrimp tank.

And it's working. I have had a nice crop of babies and am so loving watching them grow up. And they are all a nice red color, some are very dark.

Now one of those babies is berried and several are saddled.

Here's where I need your help. I want to keep a healthy colony. I'm doing all the right things as far as tank prams. My worry now is genetic diversity. What should I be doing to make sure I don't end up with a genetic bottle neck? Remember, I started with shrimp from two different locations but since shrimp don't come with pedigrees like dogs, there is no way of knowing if my shrimp come from the same stock.

My research says that I should introduce new stock to a colony from time to time. What do you think of that? Working many years professionally with show dogs, I do understand that in order to create a breed, a whole lot of inbreeding has to happen and this is the same with any color of shrimp.

Oh dang, my mind is working too much, got to stop doing that. Should I introduce new stock and at what point? Since you are an experienced shrimp keeper, I would love your input on this.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Until richie.p replies, everything I've seen agrees that having some genetic diversity is a good thing. I got mine from 3 different sources; a store in NW Houston, a home breeder 100 miles from Houston, and a home breeder in another state, so hopefully I'm okay

Of course I also realize that you have to balance that with the fact that every time you introduce new stock you have a chance of introducing something you don't want.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like your doing great,no doubt there's are some here that introduce and lots that dont bother, personally I'd add a dozen new blood at 15 months, there's no real set times whats important is that you do that will keep a good strain

OP
B

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, thanks to both richie and jetts for the prompt reply.

K, that seals it, I do plan to add new stock in the future. Hard telling when that will be with things being what they are right now, but it's a future plan to keep a healthy colony. And I so much want a healthy colony, these stupid little red things have become very much a relief from a very intense and scary life due to the current problems (I'm in the middle of it all and exposed every day).

Jett, of course you bring up a valid point in that any new stock has to be checked, quarantined or what ever it takes before introducing it. I've been lucky in that my current stock is clean and thriving. I've been in fish too long not to know how one fish, or in this case, one shrimp, can contaminate a whole tank, very much a heartbreaking experience.

To lighten things, my co workers think I'm bit, well maybe more than a bit, on the weird side because of my shrimp (recently I have been running the seafood department, talk about a conflict of interest, lol) . I actually bring in baby pics of them. I call myself a shrimp grandma and soon to be a shrimp great grandma. But hey, in these stressful times, there is nothing wrong with a bit of whimsy.

New Threads