Hey Im Kat! and I am falling hard for Fish <3

KatNynaeve

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I am new to the forum and new to aquascaping and fish keeping. I have always had fish in my home growing up, but I have only been caring for my own tank fully for a little over 4 moths. I restarted my sisters old 20 g tank after she moved out of state, there was only one very old tetra (I think it may be a Harlequin) and one anubus plant on the rock. After cleaning ( that took forever because it had literally sat untouched for months) and re setting and cycling the tank I got 6 molly fish (a variety, 4f & 2m) and a pleko (clown), some java fern and java moss. I kept the tank like this for a wile, making some changes with the scaping to find what I like and what the fish seamed to enjoy. I eventually added a bumblebee catfish, 2 pineapple swards (1m, 1f), 2 nerite snails, and most recently some amano shrimp. I also am currently cycling a small 5 g tank I want to use for shrimp in the future. I also added some more anubius, buce, guppy grass and some ozelot plants. I am battling black beard and green hair algee, but in the last month the growth seems to have stopped and it is starting to go away!

I am very happy to be here!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about your tanks!

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome Kat! Cool to see you putting your sister's old tank to good use. One thing to keep in mind with aquascaping is fish want to hide more than be seen, so keep that in mind as you design your tank. I've discovered amazing behavior changes based on how well the fish can hide vs be out when they want to.

OP
KatNynaeve

KatNynaeve

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LightBrownPillow said:
Welcome Kat! Cool to see you putting your sister's old tank to good use. One thing to keep in mind with aquascaping is fish want to hide more than be seen, so keep that in mind as you design your tank. I've discovered amazing behavior changes based on how well the fish can hide vs be out when they want to.
Same! Now that I have added more plants and places for the fish to hide I have noticed less agression from my dominant female molly (named mamma) and they all just seem happier!

New Threads