Hey hey hey

Blacksheep1

Hello everyone !

long time fish keeper here but new to the forum, recently upgraded to a 180L and I’ve loved being able to scape it ( somewhat ) and it’s definately a work in progress !
Unfortunately I stupidly managed to cause new tank syndrome in the move ( kinda had to rush it through no fault of my own as the fish had been in a bucket overnight and it was an hours drive home ) so far no losses though which I’m thankful for .

Any and all advice , tips , miracle products , photos of planted tanks and tips for not killing plants are very much welcomed !!

photo of my tank so far for attention and thanks for reading ☺️

L

Attachments

• D65F6A8B-DF9B-4917-93DB-056B3B86CB52.jpeg
    D65F6A8B-DF9B-4917-93DB-056B3B86CB52.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 46

Blacksheep1

Thankyou very much. The plec is nearly 10 years old now , he’s my favourite !

I’ve been looking into co2 but I need to educate myself by a lot more before I dive in , until then I’m using flourish tabs . The ludwigia has gone crazy which is fine as it’ll be helping with my water issues atm but looks a bit poor, the echinodorus parv looks a bit patchy on some leaves but has grown so much I’ve split into 3 now ! The Anubias looks healthy stuck in a rock hole with strong roots growing. Any tips or recommendations with moss please?

the heater is housed in the box on the right with the pump and filter media , currently running at 25c .

thanks for your reply !

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore.

What species of pleco is that? It might not fit in this tank forever.

I don’t think injecting CO2 is necessary in this setup as there’s not enough plants to warrant it.

I’d consider upping the number of gold barbs and black neons. Am I correct in assuming those are what fish I’m seeing in there?

AlphaFish

Thankyou very much. The plec is nearly 10 years old now , he’s my favourite !

I’ve been looking into co2 but I need to educate myself by a lot more before I dive in , until then I’m using flourish tabs . The ludwigia has gone crazy which is fine as it’ll be helping with my water issues atm but looks a bit poor, the echinodorus parv looks a bit patchy on some leaves but has grown so much I’ve split into 3 now ! The Anubias looks healthy stuck in a rock hole with strong roots growing. Any tips or recommendations with moss please?

the heater is housed in the box on the right with the pump and filter media , currently running at 25c .

thanks for your reply !
My own moss is nice and healthy but doesn't grow as fast as some people think. You can attach it with fishing rod string or aquarium glue to hardscape for best results. I wanted to include what Ouse said about the pleco in my own post, but I never kept plecos and I try to only speak from my own experience. By the way, rotala rotundfolia, pennywort and hygrophila are great plants for the background!

Blacksheep1

Welcome to Fishlore.

What species of pleco is that? It might not fit in this tank forever.

I don’t think injecting CO2 is necessary in this setup as there’s not enough plants to warrant it.

I’d consider upping the number of gold barbs and black neons. Am I correct in assuming those are what fish I’m seeing in there?
Thankyou.

Yes you are correct ! He is a common plec ( I know ) which I why I upgraded my tank to give him more room , I know he will keep growing but I have had him years and will accommodate him if I have to get rid of a sofa to house his tank

I have 8 black widows and only 4 barbs at the minute which came with the tank , I plan to add a few more after a few months Once I’m fully sure my tanks cycled again and settled . I don’t dare add anything new until then but your comment is fully valid. Thankyou.

I plan to add more plants once the tank is settled as I’m not really a fan of the stem plants but I believe they are beneficial to my tank at the moment ‍♀️ Maybe !?
My own moss is nice and healthy but doesn't grow as fast as some people think. You can attach it with fishing rod string or aquarium glue to hardscape for best results. I wanted to include what Ouse said about the pleco in my own post, but I never kept plecos and I try to only speak from my own experience. By the way, rotala rotundfolia, pennywort and hygrophila are great plants for the background!
I was wondering about carpet mosses to maybe help hide some shrimp in the future once the tank settles but I’ve never kept shrimp before and don’t want them to become a snack for the angel or other fish . Again I need to research that before I do anything. Thankyou for your suggestions!

Ouse

Live plants are only beneficial. They help with the cycle because they eat ammonia and nitrite, similar to any organic compound.

Those aren’t black widow tetras. To me, they look like black neons.

Blacksheep1

Live plants are only beneficial. They help with the cycle because they eat ammonia and nitrite, similar to any organic compound.

Ahh my apologies , I have both . I have 3 black neons that I’ve had for maybe 3 ish years now. Again I don’t want to add any new fish until fully cycled.

I believed ( maybe wrongly so ) that stem plants used up more than rhizome’s , maybe the growth rate contributed to that, maybe I’m just plain wrong ! I’m happy to be educated though !

MacZ

I see both in the tank.

About the Pleco: Most plants won't make it with that guy in the tank. It will end up a not very planted. Either it will eat them or unvoluntarily ripp them out just by moving about.

The rocks are the least fitting as well. All limestone and all softwater fish.

Maybe for both problems big (like half the tank's length and reaching up to the surface) pieces of driftwood may be the solution.

Ouse

Oh, I see the black widows now. :D Didn’t see them among the rocks before.

Would the single angelfish be a problem in their setup?

Blacksheep1

I see both in the tank.

About the Pleco: Most plants won't make it with that guy in the tank. It will end up a not very planted. Either it will eat them or unvoluntarily ripp them out just by moving about.

The rocks are the least fitting as well. All limestone and all softwater fish.

Maybe for both problems big (like half the tank's length and reaching up to the surface) pieces of driftwood may be the solution.
Yes I do have both.
He does dig them up a bit and I’ve moved it around a bit now and he tends to hide behind the larger leafed ones at the back of the tank.

the rocks were labelled as ocean rock !! Is this not the case ? . I did originally plan on a large drift wood piece but with the cost of the new tank , plants , substrate etc I opted for the cheaper option of rocks for now. do I need to get rid ?
Oh, I see the black widows now. :D Didn’t see them among the rocks before.

Would the single angelfish be a problem in their setup?
The angel , barbs , red tail shark and nerite snails came with the tank , he is quite large and I was worried at first but he seems to leave everyone else alone so far.
There was also a smaller pleco but I re homed him with my sister for fear mine would kill him, he immediately started chasing him a round the tank so was a good shout

MacZ

the rocks were labelled as ocean rock !! Is this not the case ? Damnnnn …. I did originally plan on a large drift wood piece but with the cost of the new tank , plants , substrate etc I opted for the cheaper option of rocks for now. do I need to get rid ?

Ocean rock... :facepalm: That store clerk deserves a slap on the back of their head. That is not a geological term for a rock. The holey rocks are dead coral, the others are different kinds of limestone and limestone and coral make the water harder. While softwater fish can live for quite some time in hard water, I found that this usually comes at some price like more frequent diseases, generally less vitality and relatively early death. All these are longterm problems many people don't even get to see.

You can safe money in many regards (substrate, rocks, leaf litter, filter media) but never be a cheapstake on wood decorations and plants.

I would have likely collected some riverrocks (provided you don't live in a highly polluted and/or limestone region) and gotten some nice big pieces of driftwood for that money that not only serve as decoration but are actually high and wide enough for your other fish to give them cover.

Smaller twigs and branches are also things you can collect for free outside, they only have to be dead and dry.

I guess as you are set on keeping the pleco it might be best to go for a style of tank that works with less plants and more hardscape. For plants possibly floaters and semiemersed plants are going to work best with the pleco.
Brazilian pennywort, Monstera, Pothos... and some big pieces of driftwood, that might work very well, give the other fish enough cover and there will be not many plants affected by the pleco at all.

I can't post the pictures directly due to copyright issues, but I can link them. Here some examples of what might work out for you longterm.

http://biotope-aquarium.info/wp-con...he_source_of_a_small_igarape_in_Cambeua_1.jpg

http://biotope-aquarium.info/wp-content/uploads/040_biotope-aquarium_sa-1-1-1024x500.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uHosmo_bGDU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.top-aquariums.com/tamainimage22762.jpg

https://www.einrichtungsbeispiele.d...-biotop__0c55f73ee56312fc5bd7fcfe2e8d902c.jpg

Blacksheep1

Ocean rock... :facepalm: That store clerk deserves a slap on the back of their head. That is not a geological term for a rock. The holey rocks are dead coral, the others are different kinds of limestone and limestone and coral make the water harder. While softwater fish can live for quite some time in hard water, I found that this usually comes at some price like more frequent diseases, generally less vitality and relatively early death. All these are longterm problems many people don't even get to see.

You can safe money in many regards (substrate, rocks, leaf litter, filter media) but never be a cheapstake on wood decorations and plants.

I would have likely collected some riverrocks (provided you don't live in a highly polluted and/or limestone region) and gotten some nice big pieces of driftwood for that money that not only serve as decoration but are actually high and wide enough for your other fish to give them cover.

Smaller twigs and branches are also things you can collect for free outside, they only have to be dead and dry.

I guess as you are set on keeping the pleco it might be best to go for a style of tank that works with less plants and more hardscape. For plants possibly floaters and semiemersed plants are going to work best with the pleco.
Brazilian pennywort, Monstera, Pothos... and some big pieces of driftwood, that might work very well, give the other fish enough cover and there will be not many plants affected by the pleco at all.

I can't post the pictures directly due to copyright issues, but I can link them. Here some examples of what might work out for you longterm.

http://biotope-aquarium.info/wp-con...he_source_of_a_small_igarape_in_Cambeua_1.jpg

http://biotope-aquarium.info/wp-content/uploads/040_biotope-aquarium_sa-1-1-1024x500.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uHosmo_bGDU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.top-aquariums.com/tamainimage22762.jpg

https://www.einrichtungsbeispiele.d...-biotop__0c55f73ee56312fc5bd7fcfe2e8d902c.jpg
Every day is a school day ! I’ll get rid of the rocks , thanks for all the info ! I have a piece of quartz in the tank , does that need to go too ? Thanks for the photos , they are helpful.
I didn’t know you could get monstera or pothos for aquariums !
I live in north west England , there’s no such thing as dry wood is there a process for drying ? Type of wood preferred ? I’m gonna be researching allllll night !!!!
I do enjoy my plec a lot and wouldn’t want to get rid of him unless I couldn’t accommodate him properly so I guess changing my tank is my only option. I don’t know of anyone with a tank big enough for him anyway and most lfs don’t take fish back ( not that I think they’d bother taking a common pleco of his size anyway )

thanks for replying !

Ouse

red tail shark
I know a lot is hitting you right now, but I want to warn you early: in this sort of environment, red tail shark will become territorial (and hungry for fish) as they mature. Community settings must be done just right to safely accommodate a red tail shark.

Might be a wise move to rehome it.

MacZ

Quartz might leach silica (its main component) into the water and silica may cause a lot of diatome algae.

I usually don't like him, but watch the "rio negro" (name for the project is so NOT fitting) build by "MD fishtanks" that was uploaded on Youtube over the past week. Shows how to add Monstera and Lilies, aswell as branches and the like.

I live in north west England , there’s no such thing as dry wood is there a process for drying ? Type of wood preferred ? I’m gonna be researching allllll night !!!!

Only decidious trees/hardwood. I like to use oak and birch twigs when they have fallen in a storm. Usually I just hang them to dry in my room for some weeks then they are usually dry enough. Works for small twigs and branches up to the thickness of a thumb.
For bigger pieces of wood please invest some money. Whatever is available in the trade is safe.

Also missed the redtail shark earlier: Get rid of that one! Completely wrong setup and tankmates. They become really territorial and aggressive with age. While you're at it the barbs might also not fit that well, needing lower temperatures tha the rest. The tetras, angel and the giant pleco are possible to combine though.

What's the UK version of Ebay classifieds? Gumtree or sth? Try to offer them there, usually that's a safe way to rehome fish.

Blacksheep1

I know a lot is hitting you right now, but I want to warn you early: in this sort of environment, red tail shark will become territorial (and hungry for fish) as they mature. Community settings must be done just right to safely accommodate a red tail shark.

Might be a wise move to rehome it.
I agree , I didn’t choose him . He came with the tank when I bought it but I don’t know where to re home ! Lfs to me don’t take fish , my families tank mates aren’t suitable either and too small of tanks to home him. I’ve advertised but no takers as of yet so for now he stays. I do have an empty quarantine tank that I’m in the process of setting up but it’s only 70L ( needed repairs )

Ouse

IMO, if your LFS provides fish but has a no-return policy, they don’t deserve your business. They won’t even accept a red tail shark back? Whew!

70 litres is too small for a red tail shark. I advise waiting for someone to offer to take him in the meantime and if nobody offers, look elsewhere for someone to take the fish off your hands.

Don’t beat yourself up over it.

Blacksheep1

Quartz might leach silica (its main component) into the water and silica may cause a lot of diatome algae.

I usually don't like him, but watch the "rio negro" (name for the project is so NOT fitting) build by "MD fishtanks" that was uploaded on Youtube over the past week. Shows how to add Monstera and Lilies, aswell as branches and the like.

Only decidious trees/hardwood. I like to use oak and birch twigs when they have fallen in a storm. Usually I just hang them to dry in my room for some weeks then they are usually dry enough. Works for small twigs and branches up to the thickness of a thumb.
For bigger pieces of wood please invest some money. Whatever is available in the trade is safe.

Also missed the redtail shark earlier: Get rid of that one! Completely wrong setup and tankmates. They become really territorial and aggressive with age. While you're at it the barbs might also not fit that well, needing lower temperatures tha the rest. The tetras, angel and the giant pleco are possible to combine though.

What's the UK version of Ebay classifieds? Gumtree or sth? Try to offer them there, usually that's a safe way to rehome fish.
He’s on pre loved atm so hoping for a taker , I’ve had some experience before and knew he wasn’t a good fit but I didn’t have a choice not to take him
I’ve not had much luck lately with tanks !! I had the 70L set up for babies when my trigon 360 popped ! Water everywhere ! Luckily it wasn’t heavily stocked and someone came and took my larger fish so I was running the 70L with just the plec ( too small I know ) the 3 penguin tetras and 3 black widows. Work became crazy busy and they settled for a while until my whole filter box became unglued , I was already looking for an upgrade but became more urgent , hence the new set up.
I don’t mind investing in some larger driftwood , it was just at the time I chose the cheaper option of rocks until it was possible . If I did collect some and dried it would I need to treat it after or can you just add when dry ?
Sorry for all the questions but I thought I was good to go , clearly not !!!! I’m always open to be educated so flood me with info !

thanks again
IMO, if your LFS provides fish but has a no-return policy, they don’t deserve your business. They won’t even accept a red tail shark back? Whew!

70 litres is too small for a red tail shark. I advise waiting for someone to offer to take him in the meantime and if nobody offers, look elsewhere for someone to take the fish off your hands.

Don’t beat yourself up over it.
No I now have a 180L the 70L was a baby tank until my old one popped , either way he’s going.
I didn’t buy the red tail he came with the 180 as I bought it second hand , the fish came with !

MacZ

This is becoming standard in Europe over the past 10 years and not the store's fault usually. There are tons of legal and other issues that are responsible for this development. So I wouldn't make this a reason to go elsewhere.

If I did collect some and dried it would I need to treat it after or can you just add when dry ?
Maybe soak it so it sinks, otherwise just rinse off dust and in it goes.

If you have questions, just ask. ;)

Dan1o

Do you have a Maidenhead aquatics near you? The one near me takes back fish…although that may be just that particular store, I don’t know..

carsonsgjs

Hello everyone !

long time fish keeper here but new to the forum, recently upgraded to a 180L and I’ve loved being able to scape it ( somewhat ) and it’s definately a work in progress !
Unfortunately I stupidly managed to cause new tank syndrome in the move ( kinda had to rush it through no fault of my own as the fish had been in a bucket overnight and it was an hours drive home ) so far no losses though which I’m thankful for .

Any and all advice , tips , miracle products , photos of planted tanks and tips for not killing plants are very much welcomed !!

photo of my tank so far for attention and thanks for reading ☺️

L
Hi blacksheep, noticed you were from the north west so wanted to welcome a fellow northerner!

Blacksheep1

If you have questions, just ask. ;)
Hehe you may regret that ! But I appreciate it so Thankyou.
Hi blacksheep, noticed you were from the north west so wanted to welcome a fellow northerner!
Hi Carsonsgjs, Thankyou for the warm welcome fellow northerner !!! I do but it’s within a garden centre and I haven’t asked if they do take fish back , judging by the above reaction to me buying rocks labelled as ocean rock when they aren’t that might not be the best idea ‍♀️ !!!!

Dan1o

Yeah the one by me is in a garden centre too, or at least art of that site.on the plus side they will rehome any fish whether it was bought from there or not and they do seem to ok after them pretty well. I guess it just depends who you get haha

Ouse

noticed you were from the north west so wanted to welcome a fellow northerner!
Meanwhile I’m down south, currently living in everyone’s least favourite county (according to a survey). My mum’s side of the familia is originally from Sunderland, however.
Hehe you may regret that !
Blacksheep1, I’m a big fan of your open-mindedness and willingness to learn. Every now and then, we get people who aren’t so open to learning and making improvements. We wouldn’t regret it at all.

Take a chill pill and don’t hesitate to ask anything. :D
This is becoming standard in Europe over the past 10 years and not the store's fault usually. There are tons of legal and other issues that are responsible for this development. So I wouldn't make this a reason to go elsewhere.
Ah, I see now.

Blacksheep1

Yeah the one by me is in a garden centre too, or at least art of that site.on the plus side they will rehome any fish whether it was bought from there or not and they do seem to ok after them pretty well. I guess it just depends who you get haha
Must be the new thing … but I won’t lie .. I only found it by accident from my new plant addiction darn lock down got me acting middle aged !! Plants and a new fish tank and I’m happy !!
Meanwhile I’m down south, currently living in everyone’s least favourite county (according to a survey). My mum’s side of the familia is originally from Sunderland, however.

Blacksheep1, I’m a big fan of your open-mindedness and willingness to learn. Every now and then, we get people who aren’t so open to learning and making improvements. We wouldn’t regret it at all.

Take a chill pill and don’t hesitate to ask anything. :D

Ah, I see now.
Bedfordshire ? I can’t say anything I’m a Mancunian.

thanks for all your help , I do appreciate it. I’m always up for learning as no way do I think I know it all. I’ll admit I was on another site years ago and it was aggressive and patronising , I ended up not bothering as it was conflicting advice

Dan1o

Haha children got be acting middle aged love my plants and tanks, there’s always more to learn and find out!

MacZ

Hehe you may regret that ! But I appreciate it so Thankyou.
Na, I have no problem telling you when it's too much.

lock down got me acting middle aged
And while on the verge of actually being middle aged I am starting to act like a retiree. So what? :D

Also, swear words are auto-censored by the forum software and too many instances put you on the radar of the moderators, try to avoid it outside private messages.

Ouse

Bedfordshire ? I can’t say anything I’m a Mancunian.
Yup. It’s 50% grass, 50% Luton. There’s a very good fish shop somewhere in the grass though. :D
thanks for all your help , I do appreciate it. I’m always up for learning as no way do I think I know it all. I’ll admit I was on another site years ago and it was aggressive and patronising , I ended up not bothering as it was conflicting advice
No problem! :) This site isn’t near as aggressive as other sites, from my experience.
darn lock down got me acting middle aged !!
Haha children got be acting middle aged
And while on the verge of actually being middle aged I am starting to act like a retiree. So what? :D
Meanwhile, I’m not quite on the verge of being an adult yet, but I’m already sedentary in lifestyle. I was satisfied by a cookie and half a watermelon for dinner yesterday, and my workout consists entirely of upvoting memes. Lockdown... it didn’t alter much. :D

ProudPapa

Must be the new thing … but I won’t lie .. I only found it by accident from my new plant addiction darn lock down got me acting middle aged !! Plants and a new fish tank and I’m happy !!

I'm not ashamed to act middle aged . . . of course I turned 60 a couple of months ago, so maybe that's why.

We get aggressive and patronizing here occasionally, but they usually don't stay long.

Ouse

Oh, and to add, this site is my go-to place if all I’m finding during independent research is conflicting information.

Blacksheep1

I'm not ashamed to act middle aged . . . of course I turned 60 a couple of months ago, so maybe that's why.

We get aggressive and patronizing here occasionally, but they usually don't stay long.
I’m in my 30’s and I’ll act middle aged no problem

also I’ll ignore the aggressive , but the differing of information with it was too much for me with it. I’m here to educate myself and get advice so happy days
Oh, and to add, this site is my go-to place if all I’m finding during independent research is conflicting information.
Love that !! I’m glad I found the forum in that case
I’m chuckling at these replies I can already tell I’m going to fit right in here !!
Na, I have no problem telling you when it's too much.

Also, swear words are auto-censored by the forum software and too many instances put you on the radar of the moderators, try to avoid it outside private messages.
Okay wait … we can’t swear ?? That’s bish ! naw I’m usually pretty well behaved , didn’t know about private messages either. I’ll swear on those, good to know.

you can act teen / middle aged / retired all you like. As long as you’re happy who the bish cares !!!!

MacZ

Okay wait … we can’t swear ?? That’s bish ! naw I’m usually pretty well behaved , didn’t know about private messages either. I’ll swear on those, good to know.

Nope and the system will also autocensor in private messages (which you can only write/receive after you have written 50 posts). Too many minors on the forum. I'll leave it at that. You got all the info you need about that.

I'm turning 37 later this year, sometimes I act like I'm 25 sometimes like I'm 250. Most of the time I act all but human. :D More like a troll or hobgoblin.

Ouse

Most of the time I act all but not human. :D More like a troll or hobgoblin.
So that explains why all your neighbours are suffocating in mulm and Brazilian pennywort... :D

MacZ

So that explains why all your neighbours are suffocating in mulm and Brazilian pennywort... :D
Mulm - no. Pennywort... well... one of them.

Ouse

Mulm - no.
That’s because they keep vacuuming their carpet! :D
Pennywort... well... one of them.
Quick! You go fetch the garden pliers, I’ll fetch some buckets.

Blacksheep1

Too many minors on the forum.
Fair enough , that actually makes perfect sense. Having kids myself and work in that sector I appreciate it tbf.
That’s because they keep vacuuming their carpet! :D

Quick! You go fetch the garden pliers, I’ll fetch some buckets.
I have no idea what’s going on here and suspect I’ve missed an inside joke.. however i have a neighbour that ‘needs’ some pennywort… help a girl out ?

MacZ

The inside joke: I have a biotope tank with a 5cm layer of rotting leaf litter and Mulm and my tank (and pretty much those of all my friends) are covered in pennywort.

photo_2021-08-03_19-55-55.jpg

Ouse

The inside joke: I have a biotope tank with a 5cm layer of rotting leaf litter and Mulm and my tank (and pretty much those of all my friends) are covered in pennywort.

photo_2021-08-03_19-55-55.jpg
*Squinting really hard trying to find all the pencilfish in that photo*

MacZ

I can see 6 out of 15 in the picture.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DeVere
40 Gallon Tank Newish to keeping fish
Replies
Views
Shamannite80