Help Hey, hello everyone. new to this site, need help. I have tiny snails in my aquarium and I didn't put them there.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look like baby Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Can't say for sure because they are awful small but the shells looks like a pointed spiral rather than the rounded type on common bladder snails. Did you buy any plants recently? They are notorious hitchhikers. Some consider them a pest because they can get out of control if there is a lot for them to eat (mulm in the substrate or uneaten food/algae). I consider them free cleanup crew :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tough to say for sure but they are pest snails. A better pic will help. Pink pic looks almost like bladder snails while the white pic looks like either mts or assassins. All are known as pest snails but are good clean up crews. If you end up with hundreds you are feeding way to much. The assassins and mts will live in your gravel. Mts eating whatever they find. Assassins eating mts. Bladders will be all over the tank and in my opinion the worst to have. I have all 3 in my tanks. I feed the bladders to my clown loaches and assassins. All of mine are under control :rolleyes: .

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Loopyloo said:
Thanks for your input. Worried that the extra load may effect my water parameters, which are stable at the moment. I religiously do my water changes. X
I don't generally consider snails in thoughts of bio-load. Yes they create waste, but they are actually breaking down waste that is already present in the tank anyway. If they are indeed MTS, the best form of control is proper feeding and keeping uneaten food and plant waste to a minimum.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
Once pest snails are introduced to an aquarium it's almost impossible to eradicate them without nuking the tank.

I don't like snails so I keep them out of my tanks but I'm in the minority.

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have so many. I tried to get rid of them at first but I have given up.

I like to do a salt bath on new plants before I put them in my tank now.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have massive amounts of snails your over feeding. That’s it! Your fish aren’t eating the amount of food your feeding. Pest snails will explode when first entering your tank but as the eat all the excess food there number will die down. Of all the pest snails assassins are the worst. All they do is eat snails. They don’t eat much of anything else.

New Threads