Hey everyone, its gloom!

gloomiath

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop by and say hi. I'm new to the aquarium scene but have learned alot by reading these forums and this site. Thanks to everyones contributions.

Me and my girlfriend just set up a 46 gallon bowfront tank in early July. We have 2 Bela Sharks, 2 Red Fin black sharks, 1 black fin shark, 6 tiger barbs, 1 black mollie, 3 rummy nose tetras (love the colors!), 5 neon tetras, and 2 corey cats. Maybe not the best mix of fish but they all get along pretty good. The tiger barbs were mean as **** when we only had 3, so we got 3 more (read that tip on this board) and they stay schooled now and are calm for the most part.

It's been a learnings process so far, and look forward to years of enjoyment.

Our deceased list is:
2 black mollies (both ended up pregnant from the store and the tiger barbs got them while they were weak, the first week we got them)

and we just got over an ich infestation which we think was brought into the tank from a fish from the store, that claimed the life of 1 spotted catfish (we think this was the cause), 1 neon tetra, 1 rummy nose, and 1 clown pleco. RIP my friends. But the ich has disapeared from the fish and should be completely gone from the tank in a few more days.

Glad to be here and i appreciate the future help!

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there! glad to meet ya! I was wondering about your mix of fish...I think neon tetras are so pretty, and my little girl always wants me to get them and I tell her no (our 20g is overstocked, and our 90g isn't set up still)...I thought neons were too little and shy to go with hardly any other fish at all..but you have them with quite an assortment...are they ok? not harrassed? thanks, gloom!
Denise

gloomiath

Reaction score
hey hopesmom! Thanks for the welcome.

Actually the tetras do quite well, which kind of surprised me with all the bigger fish in the tank. They all stay together and pretty much stay in their own little corner of the tank, away from the bigger fish. They don't look or appear to be stressed either. The Rummy Nose Tetras which are really cool looking also hang out with them when they get tired of swimming back and forth across the tank. If you haven't seen them, they are really cool and your little girl would surely like them too

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks! we like to look at fish pictures before she goes to bed, so we will look up the rummy nose! Funny name! ;D
Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fish Lore, Gloomiath I hope you'll like it here!

One word about ich that you had (or rather, one question): how soon after you set up your tank did you get the fish? And how many at once did you get?

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Any friend of a Rummy-Nose is a friend of mine (and I mean Tetras..not my own noggin after a couple shots!!)..welcome aboard,and don't hesitate to share any experience you may have with your 'motley crue' of fish with those of us who need to know.

gloomiath

Reaction score
"motley crue of fish" haha i like that.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Isabelle, after 2 days or so we got 3 tiger barbs and a few mollies. That was after treating the water with start right and Start Zyme, and some aquarium salt and having the filter on for a few days. We slowly added a few fish each week. They all are still living minus 2 mollies who we're pregnant and got attacked by the barbs while they were weak.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL Richard

Gloomiath, I don't have any experience with the product you used (I presume) to cycle your tank quickly. But I personally don't really trust any chemicals added to tank water (except for my dechlorinator which I HAVE TO use - no other choice). If this product cycled your tank that fast, then there could have been many other possible causes of ich (which we'd have to discuss separately), but if not ... the fish got ich most certainly from ammonia and/or nitrite present in the water. These compounds are always present in a tank during the cycle. My guess would be that this is what happened if you put fish in your tank 2 days after setting up the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom