Hey all

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cerianthus said:
No doubt all with good intentions. It was/is my belief that this forum and or any other forum main purpose is to assist and share knowledge but you should not try to share info/facts when never have tried.
By deleting my request for more info in order to attempt to assist other member's difficulty, (not that I can assist for sure), I am wondering if such behaviors(deleting important questions) served any purpose but to satify his/her ego.
The post was not meant to be deleted. A mod was attempting to edit out a rude comment and accidentally deleted the post. It's a fairly easy mistake to make, and we've all made it at one point or another. We're sorry that it happened.
It's usually best to ask why in private when something like that happens rather than make a presumption and start throwing accusations.

As far as the "should not share info/facts when never have tried," if we go by this, we would have plateaued in our ability to learn long ago. There's only so much time in the human life to test everything for one's self.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with book/magazine/website/secondhand knowledge. In fact, there are advantages that such knowledge has over personal experience, such as the fact that a book written by a person who maintained the reefs at a large aquarium for a few decades carries that person's experience with it.

The person who says "I've done it this way, and my fish were fine, therefore the way I did it is the right way" has fallen into two traps of logic:
First of all, they presume that a single scenario proves a point. It doesn't. There are so many variables in an aquarium that it is possible that there's some factor that the aquarist hasn't seen. (Take, for example, the idea of cycling with pure ammonia. It works for some, not for others. Neither group can say for certainty that it does/doesn't work... just that it does/doesn't work for them) Further, with all of these variables, there is the possibility that the fish merely survived, rather than thrived.
Second of all, they are presuming that there's only one answer.

Carolina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sirdarksol said:
As far as the "should not share info/facts when never have tried," if we go by this, we would have plateaued in our ability to learn long ago. There's only so much time in the human life to test everything for one's self.
Also there is the cost of all testing. Just beware that in real life nothing is set in granite. For example I read that many use Red bag kitty litter topped with sand. I am using it but having 1 issue with it. Everytime I move plants I loose a few fish.

beachcomber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
as far as ph adjusters go, you should be checking the water that you add to the tank before you add it, thus never having to try to adjust the tank. Good ph is between 8.0 and 8.4 generally for a reef, the best way to control amonia is with regular water changes, but no more than 20% per week. good luck, don't give up! You could also add some amonia absorbing chips in a mesh bag or slotted box to your filtration system, change them every two to three weeks until you get it down to zero. BC

LeenBeth

Valued Member
Reaction score
we did lose the damsel....we had hime for a year now Started the tank with him. Otherwise the tank is stable. Since my issue the numbers are all good. No amonian, no nitrites, nitrates around 5-10 ( hard to tell ) , salinity is fine. I spoke with my guy at the LFS and he explained that I need to be better at testing Ph at the same time of day as it will fluctuate from night to day and depending on when I fed the fish. The wrasse is eating. Everyone else is good!

anyway...I wil be keeping my eyes wide open! Doing lots of inspection.....
Thanks for the help you guys

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Carolina said:
Also there is the cost of all testing. Just beware that in real life nothing is set in granite.
Precisely. As the rules of logical argument dictate, nothing can be proven, because to be able to prove something you need to remove the possibility of disproving it at a later date, a feat which is impossible. Now, for the extra-special bonus headache-inducing philosophy concept: Yes, it is possible for this rule of logical argument to be disproven, thus invalidating it. ;D

LeenBeth said:
we did lose the damsel....we had hime for a year now Started the tank with him. Otherwise the tank is stable. Since my issue the numbers are all good. No amonian, no nitrites, nitrates around 5-10 ( hard to tell ) , salinity is fine. I spoke with my guy at the LFS and he explained that I need to be better at testing Ph at the same time of day as it will fluctuate from night to day and depending on when I fed the fish. The wrasse is eating. Everyone else is good!

anyway...I wil be keeping my eyes wide open! Doing lots of inspection.....
Thanks for the help you guys
Sorry you lost the damsel. It's possible that it just picked up an infection at some point. It happens. Keep an eye on your parameters, keep the tank clean, keep the salinity stable (in other words, keep doing the things you're doing) and things should be okay.

LeenBeth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the headache..LOLOLOL...had to read that a few times. But its all good!
Tank appears to be doing fine. I am also guessing there was some kind of infection or something....I mean I tested and re tested and all looks well in terms of the numbers. LFS suggested some stuff called "fishkeeper" its a blue liquid that is more on the natural side rather than the medicine side to help the overall health of the fishies. So we will see what happens. Keeping my eyes super wide open and being the investigator every time I look at the tank. Thanks again for all the help.

beachcomber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If your lfs has reverse osmosis water available for sale, you could get a couple of pails with lids and keep pre treated water on hand. Even most ro water has a low ph of around 6.? but easily corrected with reef builder (actually increases carbonate alkalinity, which helps ph stay where it should) to 8.2-8.4. If you have to use tap water, then pick up a good all purpose water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine etc., stil don't forget to correct the ph of this water. Reef Builder is a Sea Chem product that Ihave had a lot of luck with over the past few years. Try to remeber when your at the lfs, there are a lot of products on the shelf, not all necessary, in fact not many at all.

LeenBeth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah the one guy that I try to stick to asking for advice and info at my LFS is not into treating tanks chemically....hes more of a holistic attitude about things. Im cool with that.

beachcomber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's good, sticking to one person if possible. Here in Toronto, you get a different answer in every store, and very few of them are correct. I still put too much faith in these people, and repeatedly feel foolish, when I recite something that someone told me, and I didn't confirm for myself, so... (there's a lesson here), I'm sure I'll get it anytime now!

Carolina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After being on vacation I came back home to a tank with some dead fish. The automatic feed had gotten stuck, the house temp was 85 F and the water test were fine, thus thought I would be okay to just add some more fish. The new fish died too. Never found the cause. After I medicated with parasite fizz I added new fish and they survived.

I would probably to expensive to do different test water until I found the culprit.

LeenBeth

Valued Member
Reaction score
can you take a water sample to be tested for parasites before treating the whole tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom