Hey, All You Sand Lovers Out There | Page 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder_o_b, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

So like regular sand paper, only it is just sand they use for blasting? Is the fine grit harder to rinse?

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Do you know/remember what brand the purple sand was?

3. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I have BDBS(and an off brand called black beauty) and I love it. It looks great in my tanks and the fish really show on the substrate. I haven't had any issues with it.

4. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I just bought some pool filter sand. I was very surprised to see it is vastly different from the pool filter sand I got from the pool supply store. I got the AquaQuartz sand from the pool supply store. The grains of sand are vastly different in size, texture, and color. If I remember right, it cost me about $12-$14 for a 50 lb bag. Took a lot of rinsing to get it clean too! I do like though, how well it stays in place. It doesn't get blown around the tank at all.

Today, I went to Lowes and got a 50 lb bag of Quikrete pool filter sand which cost $5.49 a bag! The grains are more "pearl"-like very round and smooth feeling. They are mostly the same color with a few odd ball dark grains in the mix. I rinsed it and it was pretty much "clean" and clear, I don't think I need to rinse it more than once! One thing I'm not sure of is if it will stay in place or get moved around easily with a slight movement

I haven't put the Quikrete brand pfs in my tank yet, but I already like this stuff better than the AquaQuartz. Just my two cents about pool filter sand. :) Can't help much with the black blasting sand though.

5. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I agree.
    Thank you for your input.
    Thank you for your post.
    Thank you I will look into that.
    That does seem to be rather long to be out of it.

I did not know it came in different grit size. Thank you.
    Thank you. I will look into it.
    Thank you for the information.

6. adsm08

adsm08Valued MemberMember

I used the Quikrete in my two existing tanks. In the 185 is gets disturbed slightly when refilling the tank, but always settles back to level ( +2" depth). In the 20 long it goes all over when refilling with a bucket, so I took to siphoning the buckets back into the tank when refilling. It does not settle back to level there, but it isn't as deep. Normal fish activity does not disturb it.

7. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I think I will want to go with a heaver grain that is less prone to movement. I lean towards I flow filtration.

8. notmyfirstname123

notmyfirstname123Valued MemberMember

I use pool filter cand and all my fish love it! even my cherry barbs and guppies can be caught rubbing up against it and laying on it haha. of course they cories are the main reason i got it though. I used to have a bunch of 1/2 inch river pebbles/rocks and no of my fish particularly like it.

9. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you for your insight.

10. Guppykid101

Guppykid101Well Known MemberMember

In my eyes pool filter sand is just about the best option, it's cheap, aesthetic, looks very natural, has heavy, uniform grains so you can literally grab a hand full and toss it up into the water column and it will settle back down immediately, so any fish going crazy when the lights come on or maintenance work will not get you a couldy tank like play sand might. I've heard the black diamond stuff is alright with Cory's but I wouldn't do it. Ultimately, if you want the dark sand then get the dark sand, it's you're tank and you should personally enjoy your investment regardless of others opinions :)

11. theroaringbear

theroaringbearValued MemberMember

I had black sand for a while. Let me see if I can find a picture

[​IMG]
    Only pic I could find, but it really brings out the color of anything above it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  12. Eddison Green

Eddison GreenValued MemberMember

I used the play sand from Lowe's and love it (and for a 50 lbs bag who can beat $3) and it is a tan color which is what I wanted

13. WetWheeles

WetWheelesNew MemberMember

My cousin uses the black diamond. To help smooth it out a little we did 20 lbs at a time in a 5 gallon bucket and used a paint mixer to stir the heck out of it while washing it. It was attached to a high speed hammer drill. It got nice and smooth. This is it.

[​IMG]

14. Drummindot

DrummindotWell Known MemberMember

I use the Black Diamond sand in my tanks. I find it really makes everything pop.
    I have it in my 265:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That's the whole tank from left to right. I used mainly the fine grit with some medium grit mixed in. Knowing what I know now I'd get the medium grit. It doesn't cloud up the water for me but it is a bit harder to vacuum as the fine grit likes to go up the Python.

I used the medium grit in my planted nursery tank.
    [​IMG]
    It's capping dirt and I use this tank just for a nursery tank for my plants to get the healthier if they're having an issue, need to get healthier after being shipped, etc. Being medium grit makes it much easier to vacuum off the top with the Python without disturbing it too much or uncovering the dirt.

Be warned that it'll look like there's a bunch of tiny orange pieces in there. The won't show up as much as you think they would.

15. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Play sand would be perfect for you, [​IMG] its soft and super smooth on even the tiny barbels of my tiny cory + it looks so nice and natural like a silty river bed. I say the more you wash it the better too the less cloud your going to have for the first few days its not an issue really though just change the wool in your filter, or if you dont use wool include some for a few days.

16. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

@Thunder_o_b did you purchase any sand yet? I finally successfully located some bdbs at the Tractor Supply near my doctor's office (a little over an hour away). So when my infusion is done, I have plans to rinse sand for the rest of my life, or the end of the day, whichever comes first lol

17. BlackTeeShirt

BlackTeeShirtWell Known MemberMember

I don't... They had it at my LFS. Next time I go in I'll see if it's still there.

18. WetWheeles

It looks like the stuff from Petco. Imaginaryium sand. It's just a store brand. I've seen it in other stores under other names. Hope this is helpful.

19. BlackTeeShirt

BlackTeeShirtWell Known MemberMember

I believe the imagitarium colored sands (with the exception of a few) from Petco are calcium carbonate based. My understanding is that it can alter your water hardness, or get super hard in the water like concrete.

The stuff I used is AquaTerra brand. It is acrylic coated and guaranteed not to alter water chemistry.

20. WetWheeles

I stand corrected. Thank you. I use the black sand from Petco without issue. I got lucky I guess. I would delete my post if I knew how. LOL