Hey All New Here!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Jessielee83, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jessielee83

Jessielee83Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Hey everyone. Ive been watching the forums on here for awhile now. Usually when i do a google search for info on my fish and shrimp and this site always comes up. Found alot of great info from the users here and decided to finally join and be part of the action. I am into koi fish bristlenose plecos which i have wigglers from my first ever breeding and neo shrimp. Just got some blues. So still looking for lots mpre info. Nice to meet you all!

2. DixieFish

DixieFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi there and welcome, Welcome, Welcome! I've been a member here for only a couple of months and I absolutely LOVE this forum! The member are extremely helpful and informative and the moderators reasonable and do a fantastic job. You will really like it here.

I, too, have an interest in keeping and breeding bristlenose. I'm still researching the ideal breeding setup. Then I have my local fish store who breeds many varieties of bristlenose and other dwarf plecos, including some GORGEOUS blue-eyed lemons I've been slobbering over for months now. But its so hard to choose just one! Too many plecos and not enough tanks, LOL!

Pleco babies are the CUTEST, aren't they?

3. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ratings:
    +52
    Hello!! Yes im not the most knowledgeable bn pleco person out there but i have found lots of info here and other places. I found that they bred pretty easy. Although i kept thinking it was going to take for ever! But i have only had them for 3 weeks lol. Now they are wigglers and cant wait til they start swimming around and i cam see if they will be albinos browns both or whatnot. I know i have gotten 2 reds that are still doing good. I have a longfin lemon blue eye love!! I had 2 reg fin blue eye but they died and not really sure why ive had a few calicos again they didnt make it and i have a red marble the 2 albino mom dad and 4 brown. I just ordered 2 more longfin lemon blue eyes. Hoping to get a male and female for breeding and all of them too small yet to sex but i think i have a red female and red male. He is getting some bristles so we shall see. What area are you in that your lfs has diff kinds. Mine usually only get the browns and albino so ive had to either drive over an hr to diff ones or most have been shipped to me

2 little wigglers! They are all tail and yolk sacks lol 20190713_195833.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  4. DixieFish

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wow, that's allotta plecos! Lol, but that's going to be me in a couple months, for sure!

I currently live in the NW corner of Missouri, where there is this inky dinky little pet store that's got to be the best kept secret fish supplier in a 100 mile radius of here. Literally a mom and pop store. I've been getting fish from them since I was a teenager. You'd easily miss it if you didn't know it was there. Inside its not impressive until you take a closer look at the fish and see how amazingly healthy, happy and active they are. In all the years I've been going there, I have never lost a fish from them. I have great relationship with the owners.

I've seen a lot of fish stores come and go over the years, but the store survives them all and are still going strong even after both Petco and Petsmart moved in.

The owner's ol' lady is the pleco lover. She has brown BRs, albinos, a couple longfin albinos, a couple chocolates, the blue-eyed lemons, and at least three or four other pleco varieties that I can't remember the names of. About the only type she doesn't keep are the commons, which get way too big for most hobbyist tanks anyhow. She breeds them right there in the store, so there are always some babies to ogle. (Albinos are the recent hatch.) The only other store that sells any kind of worthwhile pleco is a store about 80 miles away, and then its either super high-end ones like golden sultans or green phantoms, or unsexed, ordinary-looking brown BRs or pale albinos.

I keep telling the pleco momma I'm gonna get some of her babies, but I can't make up my mind which ones to start with! I may just buy some babies to grow out instead. That way I can get my experience in and pick out my breeding pairs.

What kind of setup do you have to breed in? I'm trying to get more ideas while I wait for the paycheck to come in.

5. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ratings:
    +52
    I lnow i sort of went all out prob too much all at once but eh. I couldnt decide so i just grabed lol. I got the albino breeding pair in a 65? Bow front. Has a couple water spikes as caves some Malaysian wood with anubiad heater 2 sponge filter and a submersible filter. Bare bottom cause i was just going to leave babies in there bit i kept finding dislodged eggs when i vaccumed lol so i moved dad and cave to a 10 gal bare bottom with a sponge filter and heater and hob filter with 2 shrimp cholla wood and val plant. Then i have the 2 red 4 brown 1 red marble and 1 lf lemon blue eye in my 20 tall with ghost shrimp. There is a sponge filter a little gravel heater submersible filter mopabi wood cholla wood a fake log for hiding. Thats sort of the grow out tank. Once i find out sexes i will be switching around. The bow front i think os going to be a grow out at some point or kept as breeding tank. The 20 tall would work for semi grow out or one breeding pair. I have my eyes set on breeding reds and lemon blue eye. I will prob grow out the browns and sell them. Right now all those guys are about 1.5 inches. I also have a 110 gal just sitting around so that will be for over flow/grow out at some point. Or i will put multiple breeders in there

15632025487991399430532. this is the tank breeder pair was in. Now just has mom at moment until i put dad back in

1563202631416-1119570719. this is the 20 tall grow out

15632027095891661689043. this is 10 gal baby. Dad is in cave under log to the left with more wigglers he hasnt let out yet

1563202804337978821940. few babies i hatched that got knocked out of cave

I have hard well water so ph isbt ideal but they dont seem to have an issue since it is stable and they mated sooo lol my params are ph 8.2 amm .25 nitrite 0 nitrate 10- 20 and temp is usually kept at 78- 79

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  6. DixieFish

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, now I'm super jealous, lol! I've been eye balling some bow fronts on craigslist for a minute, but I dont yet have the available space. Soon, though!

Once my hubby gets his 29 gal. cycled I'll have a spare 10. And petco's got their tank sale going on, so I'm thinking of grabbing a 20 tall specifically for plecos and perhaps a couple 5s for rearing fry and snails or cherry shrimp. I was debating on a 20 long, but I think thats better suited for schooling fish (which I might start breeding next year).

Your tanks are gorgeous. I should just bite the bullet and buy up as many pleco juvies the pet store will let me take home on my budget, lol.

Good to know BNs care more for stability over water hardness. Boiling peat moss is a pain, lol! My water pH is pretty average, though. My snails seem to love it.

I think I'm going to cut my teeth on BNs and then next year I'll be looking into Clown plecos, mega clowns and Columbian zebras. I dont see too many of those in pet stores but my research says they are just about as easy to breed. The regular clowns are supposed to only get to about 4".

Okay, you shared your pics, its only fair I show mine, too!

This one is my guppy tank full of super blonde fry, endler hybrid fry and females. Plus a million random snails. As usual, my assassin snail is buried in the sand.
    20190715_195458.

Then heres hubby's cool water tank with white clouds, lace plants, blue ramshorns and my two mature male guppies.
    20190715_195539.

Aaand an up close of my blue leopard ramshorns...
    20190715_195547.

7. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks so much!! Still have some plants i want to get and still working out the kinks. I also have a 10 gal blueberry neo shrimp tank. Just got those and just started looking into them so who knows how that will go haha. And dont get me wrong i just started with bn plecos like as in 3 weeks ago i got all of them. So far i notice the adults seem to be hardier. Ive gotten like 15, 1 to 1.5 inchers and have only 7 left. My blue eye lemon long fin died this afternoon still dont know why and dont know about others either. Some had bloat. But good news i ordered 2 more long fin blue eyes yesterday. But i wont be getting more at least for awhile. And if i can im gonna try for either breeding pairs like my albinos that just mated or just adults period. But ya i think you should either pick one or 2 colors or styles that you really like and grab you a few of each. That way when you grow them out you might get a breeding pair from them. Also if they dont mind ask alot of questions if they breed them they can prob help you out too. Your guppy tank you should be able to put at least 1 or 2 bns if they are small for now until you get other cycled or just another tank. I like all you tanks as well although i tried sand and i didnt much like it lol

8. DixieFish

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    NOOO! Oh, I'd be devastated! I wonder if that well water is an issue? I'm about to sex and sort guppies (today, hopefully) and move over half into grow out buckets so my tank can support the bio-load of some plecos. I might be able to work out a deal to get my hands on their remaining blue eyed female, bwahaha!

I just noticed you have a thread on this in the pleco forum, so I'll continue this discussion over there.

Again, Welcome! Lol.

9. OP
    OP
    Jessielee83

Ratings:
    +52
    Ya it sucks. I dont know about the water. Alot of people keep bns in hard water and its between 8 and 8.2. The adults seem to be fine. I know little ones are a little more sensitive so we see. Im going to try and get hands on more adults just to be safe. My lemons came in yesterday. So we see how that goes. I really want more of them and reds. Lol ok ill keep an eye open over there. Thanks!