Hexagonal tanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I you click the drop down arrow on the left and choose hexagon it ashs for depth add width. Put those measurements in and calculate. All you need is the top line. The others are for tanks that have those things.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some tanks have sumps or other additions connected to the tank, this helps figure out total water volume by counting what's in them also.
well how much water does the hex hold
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Clowns went from 1-1/2 inches to 6 inches in a year and have slowed down since. don't know about the rest.
Carol

AlfaBetta

Reaction score
Tomh said:
Does anyone know how to find out how many gallons a hexagonal tank is?
Tom
If you want to know how to do it manually then you'd have to know a little geometry. Basically all you need to do is find the area of the hexagon in square inches then multiply that by the height of the tank in inches. At that point you'd have cubic inches of water volume which you can then convert to gallons. To find the area of a hexagon you need to find the area of one isosceles triangle then multiply it by 6 or the area of 1 right triangle then multiply by 12.

hopesmom

Reaction score
Can I jump on this thread? I hope this isn't rude... when I'm searching the ads for used tanks, I usually find hex tanks, rather than rectangular ones for sale...is there a problem with hex tanks? too hard to keep clean, or visually are they less appealing in some way, or what? just wondering.. thanks!
denise

OP
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion, the hex is less appealing because the fish are used to swimming from one long side to another. The hex is great for keeping angels though because they are tall and like deep water in the wild. Also you would need a long intake tube for the filter to reach the bottom or you could have high nitrites and nitrates, as well as a pretty strong filter to circulate all the water clearly. And with the hex tank, there will be less oxygen reaching the bottom, which will lead to fewer fish (I read this in a book). Hope this helped with your decision.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There ok for smaller tanks for something different but yes like everybody else has said they are not as practical. Tomh it would be better to get a 29 gallon tank as it's 18" tall or a tall tank rather then a hex IMO

Austin

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My favorite types of tanks are long tanks because they look bigger than they are and can have more fish because of the extra surface area if you filter correctly, bowfront and hexs look cool but I like keeping more fish.

AlfaBetta

Reaction score
The reason why I personally don't like hex tanks is because they have those corners which kinda distorts the view. With a flat or bow front the view isn't distorted.

New Threads