Hexagon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chykie, Jul 20, 2015.

1. chykieNew MemberMember

My husband was trying to be nice and bought me a 30 gallon (he says i estimate it is really more like 28) hexagon tank with a mirrored back. I've never owned a hexagon before and feel like I am drowning trying to figure out how to stock it. It measures 10 inches a side and about 25.5 inches tall. I want to set it up for freshwater.Things I am worried about:

Equipment:
    What do I need? Someone gave me a HUGE list. A heater, a CO2 regulator, a HOB filter PLUS a canister filter, and a powerhead pump. Is that all gonna fit? Do I really need all of it? Do I need anything else? I plan to put in plants.

What substrate would be best?

Lighting: It didn't come with a hood so I guess I have to find one or can I just clip a light to it?. I want to keep algae growth down but get enough light to the bottom for plants so what do you recommend? My other tanks have moonlighting but I don't really want to put that kind of money into such a small tank. Any other suggestions for lighting?

TIA

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You don't really need both the HOB and canister. A powerhead is really optional imo...

Hexagonals are also hard to stock because most fish enjoy lateral swim space.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

You don't really need a CO2 regulator, I agree with Dom you don't need a HOB and a canister filter.

As for algae growth keep your lights on for 8-10 hours and make sure that the tank doesn't get a lot of sunlight. I hear that algae has issues multiplying if there is a 2 hour break in between the lighting period.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I would start off with 6-8 hours and play it by ear. If your plants aren't growing, extend the time. Personally, I have a 5 on, 5 off then 5 on light schedule, for breaking the algae growth cycle.

5. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Sorry to say, but someone gave you the wrong advice. You only really "need" a filter, heater, and a light would be ideal so you can observe your fish.

CO2 regulator is only for planted tanks with lots of plants, and high light amounts.

Powerhead may help to keep adequate flow in your tank, but a decent filter should take care of that.

You only need 1 type of filter, but many people do recommend having 2 types of filtration. I prefer to have a HOB or a canister and then supplement those with an air driven sponge filter. In your case, a canister may be a little overkill, so maybe a good HOB with an air driven sponge filter would be a good way to go.

If you did want a canister, I highly recommend the SunSun HW-302. They are the best value around, (about $40-50 including shipping), and work great. I have one on my 40 gallon and am very happy.

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

A single HOB should be fine. Unless you would prefer a canister. A power head probably won't be needed. Wait till it is set up to see if you need one or not. A heater is needed for tropical fish that need to be kept in temp higher than what your room temp is. CO2 is beneficial to plants, but not needed for most of them.

What does it measure from the widest point? I saw you said each side is 10 inches. But the tank isn't 10 inches wide is it?

A clip light should work fine. But, I've never used one. So can't really recommend one. Eco Complete is a good plant substrate. There are a few out there that work well. Or you can just use gravel or sand, and let the fish fertilize the plants. What kind of plants do you like?

It sounds like you know how to keep fish. Do you have any in mind for this tank?

7. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

Regarding the substrate people like to use sand because it's more natural and we are trying to get as close to a natural environment as possible for our fish. The draw back to sand is that if the filter sucks some of it up, it can damage the impeller unless you have a prefilter on your intake. I use gravel as my substrate and IMO is the better substrate to go for if you don't want to worry about damaging your impeller AND if you don't plan on getting fish the require sand as a substrate.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Substrate is more of a personal preference, but like Gekco mentioned, some fish species prefer certain substrates. For example, cories and loaches prefer sand.

9. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

A good clip on light that may work for a taller/narrower tank like yours is the Finnex Planted Plus clip on. It will put you in the low light category but is perfect for plants and will give you a lot of options for a good low light planted tank. Here is a link from amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIL7YPE/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p199_d7_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0K5JKKWVAHTBH3V0YCXM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Also here is a link to an article I put together about getting started with low light planted tanks, it should help with most of the basic questions like substrate, lists of low light suitable plants, etc.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

10. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

I maintenance a 45 gallon hexagon. It's stocked with angels.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Gasp! You never told us you had angelfish!

12. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

I don't. A person who pays me to clean their tank does.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Oh I see, can joo come and clean my algaes? :)

14. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice