Hexagon Schooling Fish 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by iamemu, Apr 13, 2018.

1. iamemu

iamemu New Member Member

I have a 30 gallon hexagon tank that is on the tall side with 2 mollies, 1 female betta, and 3 ghost shrimp. I am planning on getting 2 male platys and 3 nerite snails but I would also like to add a schooling fish. Including the platys would my tank be overstocked or can I still add a school of 6. I'm thinking some sort of rasbora or colorful tetra. I do have 4 black neon tetras in a 10 gal, I'm going to add 2 more to make the school better. I'm also planning on adding 2 male guppies to that tank but I would like to keep more. I know having more than 2 with the tetras is too much for the 10 so would putting the tetras in the 30 hex be a better idea? I know most tetras are active swimmers and don't do too great in tall tanks so it might not be the best option. They have lived in there for a few weeks before and did just fine. My mollies are kind of bullies to them so I definitely need to add to the school to make them feel safer. I'm kind of stuck on what to do here and I really don't want to overstock since I've made that mistake before and deeply regretted it. Any suggestions are welcome :)

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

OK we got a issue. You have a betta in the tank so its gonna be harder for a schooling fish. They cant move fast or the betta could attack. Also colorful fish are what bettas hate the most. And i dont suggest small fish that can be easily eaten by a betta. What you have right now is fine, but schooling fish could be harder to find. The black neon tetras could work, but have a backup plan for either the betta or tetras.

3. OP
    OP
    iamemu

iamemu New Member Member

My betta is extremely docile and actually is bullied by the mollies sometimes and it's never been the other way around. They all used to live in a 10 gallon together until I got the 30 and moved them there. The betta has never been agressive towards anything since i've had her. It all depends on the personality of the fish and mine just happens to be extremely peaceful.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Well you never know, but if thats what you think you can always try!

5. christmaszorro

christmaszorro New Member Member

I have a 65 gallon hexagon aquarium. 2 yoyo loach, 3 neon tetras, 2 blood fin tetras, 2 nerite zebra snails, 4 shrimp, 2 purple rasboras, 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 rummy tetras and 1 albino pleco. I have a canister filter and an under gravel filter, and a ton of plants. I just turned off the aerator because my pH was increasing. I noticed that when I turned of my bubbler, that all my fish starting schooling. My fish already schooled, but with their respective kind. Is that normal?

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice