Hex tank hood/light issues.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So my girlfriends parents have a hex tank. It measures about 20" across and 24.5" tall. I assume I can use the calculator below to find the size of the tank but what I really need is a hood and light for it. I've done some searching and I can't find any. Is this going to be a real odd ball to find stuff for?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Mosin,

I don't recall seeing any hoods for hex tanks in my PetCo or privately owned fish store. I would think that either should be able to order one for you if necessary. Or contact the company that made the tank.

Good luck!

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To calculate volume and surface area of a hexagonal receptacle. (see below)

Surface area = (6 x a x h) + (2 x (2.598 x (a x a))) (couldn't figure out how to do 'a squared')

Volume = 2.598 x a x a x h (again couldn't figure out how to do squared)

So let's assume your tank is h = 24.5", and the width of each 'pane' is 4"

Your surface area = (6 x 4 x 24.5) + (2 x (2.598 x (4 x 4)))
= 588 + (2 x(2.598 x 16))
= 588 + (2 x 41.568)
= 588 + 83.136
= 671 square inches surface area.

Your volume will be:
= 2.598 x 4 x 4 x 24.5
= 2.598 x 16 x 24.5
= 2.598 x 392
= 1018 cubic inches
1 cubic inch = 0.00432900433 US gallons
= 1018 x 0.00433
= 4.4G

You can substitute for your actual dimensions in the above calculations.

Attachments

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've decided its around 44-45g. Thanks for the math.

I was able to find a hood for a 30 gallon but nothing else. Seems its one of those things that if you don't get it as part of a tank bundle, its pretty hard to get by itself. Going to a LFS tonight and see what they can do. I know they got a big hex for sale but I think its a tad smaller then the one I'm looking for. Going to bring my tape measure and have fun.

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hex ones are so difficult to find. I tried for ages to get a condensation tray to go inside the hood of mine, and eventually had to buy an oversized one off eBay and trim it down One suggestion I got was to use a sheet of perspex? If you have the time and the inclination I suppose you could make a perspex hood for it?

Just a thought

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest, I probably wouldn't even bother with the hood. It's going to be difficult to track down, and when you do find it I'm sure it's going to cost a lot more than a piece of plastic is worth.

Rather than spending the money on a hood for the tank, which is most likely only going to accommodate a junky little normal output light strip, I'd look into a power compact or T5 strip light and just use adjustable mounting legs (some brands include these, some sell them separately) to sit the light on the top frame of the tank. I run about 50 tanks open top and have few losses due to jumping. If you go PC or T5, there is a good chance you can keep some plants in there if you are interested in that.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you went to a glass shop with the measurements of each piece, they could cut it for you for much less, I bet. Then all you need is the hinge and plastic back piece, which are easy to find and cheap.

Or you could do plexiglass maybe. That would probably be something you could do yourself.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FYI, this isn't my tank, its the womans parent's tank.

I already told them it would be hard and most likely expensive. I suggested they junk it and get a proper tank but their 'give a hoot' level isn't that high.

After I find out the price tonight at the LFS, I'm going to recommend the plexiglass type solution and then just get a light that will fit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah, I missed that part.
The plexi idea sounds like a good one. A light strip without the hood should be relatively cheap.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They had a hood/light combo sitting on a 35g. After looking at the measurements for that tank, it seemed awfully close. So I called her parents and they still wanted it.. even with the $50 price. So, we'll see if it fits on Friday night and if not, I will take it back and they'll just have to rig something up.

I think that it will fit good enough to work.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just to complete the thread. It is indeed a 35g hex as the hood fit without any issues. I hope that's the last time I have to deal with a hex tank.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice! Glad you got the problem worked out.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great result

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads