Hermit ID

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I have two hermit crabs, I am 99% sure the first is a Scarlet reef hermit but the second one I have no clue. If you can tell me what they are that would be great! (I'm also aware the tank needs cleaned as well as their shells, I'm working on it.)
    DSCN0603.JPG DSCN0605.JPG

2. r

r4fish17 Valued Member Member

Yeah, the first one is a scarlet, Paguristes cadenati. I believe the second one is usually called a red legged or Mexican red leg hermit, which is in the genus Clibanarius.

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Are they both reef safe? I would like to get low light corals at some point, mushrooms or something, I know many people despise crabs and i read blue legged are and the scarlet are safe but how bout the Clibanarius diguetti?

4. r

r4fish17 Valued Member Member

Both are considered reef safe. They may pick off a snail or two on occasion, which shouldn't be anything to worry about, but should be fine with coral. Providing them with extra shells can minimize the chance of them going after snails, or harming each other. It's mostly larger hermits and true crabs (members of the infraorder Brachyura) that you have to worry about. Smaller hermits may climb on corals while looking for food, but are unlikely to harm them. With that said, red legs do tend to be larger than their cousins the blue legs, and seem to be more likely to "cause trouble." Blue legs, from what I've seen myself, and heard others say, tend to be better CUC members than red legged, but you really shouldn't have anything to worry about if keeping red legs in your tank.

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Ok thanks, I thought about keeping those two guys and also getting a couple of blues. I think I had a blue blue, (I say think because I got into this whole saltwater thing about a month or so ago when i bought a setup on craigslist) I seem to remember a blue and then one day found what I believe was bits of a dead blue behind some rock, not sure what killed it but I guessed one of the other hermits did.