Hermit crabs

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by mepling, Dec 5, 2012.

1. m

mepling New Member Member

I want to put a couple hermit crabs in my 29 gallon tank. In researching hermit crabs I keep seeing what looks to be a need to put additaves into the water. Is this the case or would they be fine without special attention?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi1

Can you be more specific as to what additives/supplements are being suggested?

Hermits should be fine without the need for supplements.

EDIT: But you do need to provide them with larger shells to move into as they grow ;)

3. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you. Here is something I found on liveaquaria.com on hermit crabs. Under "supplements" there are some things it looks like they suggest adding these to the water??

QUICK STATS
    Care Level: Easy
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Reef Compatible: Yes
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
    Max. Size: 2"
    Color Form: Blue, Orange, Tan
    Diet: Omnivore
    Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
    Compatibility: View Chart
    Origin: Hawaiian Islands
    Family: Diogenidae

4. ryanr

Ah, ok.
    Calcium and Magnesium are the major elements for reef health.
    Iodine and Trace elements are also essential to the health of a reef.

All of these elements are generally replaced with water changes. If you have a high demand reef system (SPS corals), it may be necessary to supplement the tank with Calcium and Magnesium, but otherwise, regular water changes (10% per week) should be enough to maintain the elements at the necessary levels.

Is your 29G full marine or still brackish? Hermits need full marine to survive.

5. OP
    OP
    m

It is still brakish, 1.015. I plan to raise it to full marine though. Then I would like some hermits.
    Thanks, I was confused. I havent gotten into coral yet so a lot of the chemistry stuff I havent got a clue..

6. ryanr

What will you do with the GSP?

Brackish vs Marine is a fair step in salinity

7. OP
    OP
    m

When the GSP is an adult he will live in marine conditions. All the research I've done says they thrive in full marine.

8. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I know the conversion has to be a slow one cuz juvie GSP can go into shock if the salinity is rised to quick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice