hermit crabs...terresterial

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm wondering if anyone has any hermit crabs preferably the ones that you can keep in a tank with both salt and freshwater. I'm wondering about experiences and such thanx

~inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I got 4 hermits today, they are so cool looking!!! Two of the four are VERY friendly, any ideas for names would be awsome

~inari

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you do a search online for land hermit crabs, you will get a ton of information. I had three for a while, but they were evicted from my dorm room and my brother didn't take very good care of them.

Make sure you have plenty of room for them (10 gallon is a good size for four small ones, but it depends on how big yours are... don't use one of those hermit crab kits that has a tiny little kritter keeper), and plenty of spare shells (the shells should be the correct shape for you hermits... if you have purple pinchers, like I did, they prefer round openings. If you have Ecuadorians, they prefer elongated openings. You should have three or four of the correct size for each crab).
Be careful what you feed them. Many commercial foods have preservatives in them which are toxic to hermit crabs (if you go online to the hermit crab association, they have a lot of information on this and also are glad to give advice to newbies).

They need to have the correct heat and humidity, too... also can be found online. I haven't had mine for a while, so I can't remember for sure... I think 70% humidity is about right, and 75degrees.

I don't know how much research you did on them before you got them, so I apologize if any of this is redundant.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for the info your the only one who has replied, I got four of them pretty smalls ones and one that is still small but a bit larger than the other ones. Today he grabed onto my middle finger for about 30 minutes it really hurts i had one grab me yesterday but it let go it was almost like he was just trying to see what it was. I have the hermit crab association website and it has been very helpful, thanks again

~inari

guppygranny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Names: How about Claus, Pinch, Shellby, and Moe? Guppygranny

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, basically all I can tell you is what you can find on google as that's all I know, sorry. No personal expierence

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about hermit crabs either, but have thought about getting some in the past. I have bettas now instead so don't even have room for a crab habitat.

I didn't realize there was so much to taking care of hermit crabs. I guess kinda like I didn't know there was so much to taking care of bettas, but I soon found out. Good luck with your hermits.

CherryRose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanx Cherryrose,

I now have 4 hermies (for those who haven't figured that one out ) if you guys want to be kept up today let me know and I will figure something out or i'll just start a thread and get it going anyway we'll see as long as it is alright with the moderators, though i really can't see that being a problem as long as it is in the right place lol anyway

~inari

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how it works out, so, yes, keep us updated. ;D

CherryRose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I will tell you about set up and such later on as the weeks progress. I need to sit down and make sure that I know what i'm talking lol anyway i'll have that up in the next week or so so everyone can know

~inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom