Hermit Crabs Mysteriously Dying.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Feb 20, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

You may know, just recently, a hermit crab ate another crab. I know that cannibalism in crabs is normal. Now, this morning, I saw my occelaris clown inspecting (and trying to eat) another dead hermit crab. It's only been like 3 days and another crab has mysteriously died (meaning now I have 3 crabs). The crabs also molted a month ago, so maybe they're dying because there is no shells? Still, this is very mysterious.

What's going on?

2. YellowFish13

YellowFish13Well Known MemberMember

Canabilism is very common in crabs. First you need to sort out what is causing them to do it. Is your water pristine? Do they have enough space? Do they have enough shells? Do they have enough food?

3. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

My water is pristine. They are only one inch long, and they live in a 10 gallon tank. I tried giving them new shells, but I don't think they like them. The shells seem too big. I feed the tank every day except Wednesday. There is algae in my tank that they occasionally eat.

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

If they don't have appropriately sized shells then it might as well be no shells in the tank as far as they are concerned and they will kill to get what they want. How often do you feed the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I feed very day except Wednesday.