Hermit Crabs Lost All Legs

1. d

danefrnds Valued Member Member

2. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

Ouch, I am so sorry! Sorry I can't offer any advice, just condolences :(

3. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

not an expert at hC/HC/hc. I think he might have a chance to regrow, but I doubt it

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, maybe I could be of your help?

How many crabs do you have right now? What is the current setup for them?
    Can you send a better picture of his front side?

Usually, I deal with a ton of these problems in hermit crabs, but I've never seen something like this.

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Its probably doomed i never had mine fight but i only have 2 in a 32g lol @NART what do you think?

6. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Could your other hermit crab have done this to him? I've never owned them, but my brother has and they have a mean one that would kill any other hermit crabs, so they just have one.
    Sorry that happened. :(

7. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Eekkk... yeah... I don't keep hermits for this reason. It's the circle of life for them though... if you have more than one and not enough shells laying around they'll fight. One will die and one will have a new home lol.

Is it still moving and eating? It has the ability to grow it back in time. You will just have to keep it in the breeder box for a bit, maybe toss a small piece of rubble for it to crawl on and etc... Feed it daily. Though after it heals, you'll face the same problem wen re-introducing it back into the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    d

@Fanatic I have only 2 hermit crabs in the entire tank its a 10g nano tank

I feed the crabs everyday he eats only a little (struggles to get to the food bt manages n eats a little)

Its a nano 10g tank n i had only 2 hermit crabs. The one with the broken leg n the other thats nw freely roaming in the tank.

Below is the picture of the entire tank setup ee928e58a432f9c8dfdcb17e7acb798a.jpg

Last night the hermit crabs ate hikari pallet food right from my hands. Is it a sign that he is recovering ?

9. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

I don't know if its just me being very ignorant because my knowledge on hermits is very limited, but I thought hermit crabs were supposed to be on land as well as water? o-o enlighten me ~
    on another note:
    Sounds like good news to me. Poor little fellow. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
    *edit* at lease in water he's lighter than on land. maybe it'll manage with one leg.

10. OP
    OP
    d

Its a saltwater hermit crabs its 24/7 in water

11. OP
    OP
    d