Hermit Crab Shell Evacuation

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Apr 11, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

One of my Zebra Hermits from my Nano Reef has evacuated its shell. It also lost it's big claw. What should I do?

2. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

I currently have it in a cup. It's doing fine, but I don't know what to do! I cannot drive anywhere to get something because I'm just a 13 year old, and I know my parents won't take me anyways!

What should I do? Put it back in the tank? Make another tank? Euthenize it.

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

How many shells do you have in the tank? The shells aren't attached to them, they leave their shells and look for bigger ones as they grow.

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Personally i would leave it in the tank a cup is too small for it. You also need a selection of shells as they will swap as they get older

5. midnaWell Known MemberMember

yeah, he's probably looking for a new home (shell)!! don't kill the little guy. his claw will grow back.

6. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Okay! He's still in the cup. What I'm worried about is that the big hermit crab is kind of a bully (he ate 2 of my past hermits), and the small guy won't be able to defend himself without his big claw.

Could he survive?

7. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

You're going to have to accept that you are going to lose inverts. In the last 2 years I have probably lost 20 of them and i even added a number of extra shells to the tanks I have had. They will prey on each other and you can't get too attached to individuals. The lone exception I have is a big left handed hermit that I have that has managed to hold on for the last 18 months.