Hermit Crab Lighting

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I already have just a standard fixture that holds up to 100 Watts I believe, but I just want a light for well light, not heat. Could I use a standard household bulb for this or would I be better off buying some kind of a cheap coil UVB bulb?

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I already have just a standard fixture that holds up to 100 Watts I believe, but I just want a light for well light, not heat. Could I use a standard household bulb for this or would I be better off buying some kind of a cheap coil UVB bulb?
If you just need it for light I would honestly just get an LED light. You can find them really cheap on amazon. The UVB coil bulb would work but they burn out pretty quickly (and don’t even put off enough usable UVB). I wouldn’t use a standard house bulb because they produce heat. Your hermit crab is good at 72-80 degrees. I don’t have heating on my crab tank but it is set next to my chameleon’s screen cage so it’s always a little hotter than the surrounding room temp.

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you just need it for light I would honestly just get an LED light. You can find them really cheap on amazon. The UVB coil bulb would work but they burn out pretty quickly (and don’t even put off enough usable UVB). I wouldn’t use a standard house bulb because they produce heat. Your hermit crab is good at 72-80 degrees. I don’t have heating on my crab tank but it is set next to my chameleon’s screen cage so it’s always a little hotter than the surrounding room temp.
My beardies new cage came with a 36 inch LED, I think I’m gonna go ahead and use that for them. I found just a CFL bulb in my house that doesn’t seem to give off a ton of heat, so that’s an option as well. I usually use a heat pad but it’s only on in winter or at night when my house is in the low 70s or upper 60s. I’ve got time to decide lol, I’m in the process of moving cages so they’ve gone from a 40 to a 20 tall (hate it for them) so in a few weeks they get the beardies 20 long.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom