Here's My Final Decision.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is my final decision (I have changed my mind many times. It started at 60 gallons, then 50, 45, 75, 60, 50, 55, 50, 55, 75, and then FINALLY 37 gallons) on a tank size, and stocking. I just want to make sure it is okay.
Stock:
2 angelfish
6 black phantom tetras
6 bronze corys
2 nerite snails
5 otos

The water temperature will be a 79 degrees. Anything amiss?

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maybe throw in a third angel. ive owned 3 platinum but they still fought regularly.
try to spread the amount of aggression, like a betta sorority and get 3 angels

Kieren Munson-Burke

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn’t recommend 3 angels because if two pair up, the other is doomed. If you only get two I would try to make sure they are bonded.

But did you decide on 37 gallons? IMO that’s too small for angels, I think they really need at least 50-55 gallons. You might want to consider gourami or rams in that tanks size.

I would add a couple more otos, they do better in groups. Maybe even consider skipping either the Cories or the otos and make one large school.

I have heard of black phantom tetras nipping before. It’s not a character trait but it does happen so you want to be careful with that and slow moving long finned fish.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kieren Munson-Burke said:
I wouldn’t recommend 3 angels because if two pair up, the other is doomed. If you only get two I would try to make sure they are bonded.

But did you decide on 37 gallons? IMO that’s too small for angels, I think they really need at least 50-55 gallons. You might want to consider gourami or rams in that tanks size.

I would add a couple more otos, they do better in groups. Maybe even consider skipping either the Cories or the otos and make one large school.

I have heard of black phantom tetras nipping before. It’s not a character trait but it does happen so you want to be careful with that and slow moving long finned fish.
Okay, would this work?
3 pearl gourami
8 bronze corys
8 Harlequin rasboras?
5 nerites

Kieren Munson-Burke

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaticQueen said:
Okay, would this work?
3 pearl gourami
8 bronze corys
8 Harlequin rasboras?
5 nerites
I think that would be great! If you’re looking for a fuller bodied tetra you could consider emperor tetra. Pearls don’t usually eat other fish the way angels do so you’re less restricted in size. I have harlequins and they are SO interesting to watch so I definitely recommend them. I think you could even bump the two schools up to 10 each

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticQueen said:
Final stock:
3 pearl gourami
8 bronze corys or kuhli loaches
8 harlequin rasboras
Go full asian and scratch the cories for loaches. ;) You can up the numbers on both schools to 12.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
@OP I'm wondering? Why choose a 37? I'm selling mine today because I don't want to deal with how awfully tall it is. I guess it makes sense if you only have a small amount of wall space but its just a funky size.

New Threads