Here’s My Cycled 10g. Pretend It’s Yours. What Would You Stock?

KatLovesCoffee

49A369FD-2B86-4DBE-94F4-DD2B50D5947D.jpeg
Title says it. This is my new setup. Hoping it grows in thick enough. I have a few baby plants that are in the background you can’t see yet (java fern, aponogeton). You’ll see a male betta who lives in other tank, so he won’t be in there. He’s my sons’ guy, Needles.

Pretend this is your tank. How would you stock this bad boy?

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I can't help but want to put Neons or Embers in there but I'd want to try something new, maybe White Clouds I've not kept them but I feel I should at some point.
I thought about embers too. Maybe green neons?

Have also considered sparkling gouramis or endlers...

I would love to get away with a centerpiece fish and a small school, or maybe a couple nano varieties.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
BellaBlues said:
I thought about embers too. Maybe green neons?

Have also considered sparkling gouramis or endlers...

I would love to get away with a centerpiece fish and a small school, or maybe a couple nano varieties.
I've been looking a Green Neons lately, I didn't realize how blue they were, they look so nice. Sparkling GouramI is another I'd like to keep.

**** this hobby too many fish too little room.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I've been looking a Green Neons lately, I didn't realize how blue they were, they look so nice. Sparkling GouramI is another I'd like to keep.

this hobby too many fish too little room.
Right? I have room for this 10 gallon and my sons tank. That’s it.

I need to make this count. Haha.

Dechi said:
I think it’s way too small for gouramis.

I would only put one shcool of fish, maybe 10 and maybe a few platies (1 male, 2 females).
Even the Pygmy variety? These guys don’t get too big at all. I was thinking Sparklers or Licorice Gouramis would be fine in this space. I could be wrong however.

Platies. Had not considered that. Thanks

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Dechi said:
I think it’s way too small for gouramis.

I would only put one shcool of fish, maybe 10 and maybe a few platies (1 male, 2 females).
BellaBlues said:
Even the Pygmy variety? These guys don’t get too big at all. I was thinking Sparklers or Licorice Gouramis would be fine in this space. I could be wrong however.

Sparkling would be fine in a 10 gallon, they stay very small.

midna

Well Known
if you like sparkling gouramies, then maybe 6-8 of those and a pair (or single) licorice gourami, or other parosphromenus gouramies? they all prefer blackwater tanks though. honey gouramies are also small.

I love endlers, you could easily keep up to 10 males of different strains for variety. that's what I did in my 7 gallon. japan blues are guppies that tend to be smaller than regular guppies and are very pretty.

a group of 3 pea puffers could be fun. tiny schooling fish like micro / chilI / phoenix / kubotaI / blue line / etc. rasboras, celestial pearl danios, would be peaceful schoolers with some kind of laid-back centerpiece fish. there are tons of different killifish that are very stunning. blue-eyed rainbowfish, they have lots of different kinds.

and if you want a bottom-dweller you could try a mexican dwarf crayfish (cpo) or other dwarf crayfish! they aren't always 100% peaceful though.

I have an empty 10 gallon that used to house a betta. i'm trying to figure out stocking choices too.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

I love honey gouramis. They are so sweet looking. No pun. Seriously.

Could one male (or female...whatever) honey gouramI serve as a centerpiece fish with some other peaceful schooling type?

There are far too many choices.

midna said:
if you like sparkling gouramies, then maybe 6-8 of those and a pair (or single) licorice gourami, or other parosphromenus gouramies? they all prefer blackwater tanks though. honey gouramies are also small.

I love endlers, you could easily keep up to 10 males of different strains for variety. that's what I did in my 7 gallon. japan blues are guppies that tend to be smaller than regular guppies and are very pretty.

a group of 3 pea puffers could be fun. tiny schooling fish like micro / chilI / phoenix / kubotaI / blue line / etc. rasboras, celestial pearl danios, would be peaceful schoolers with some kind of laid-back centerpiece fish. there are tons of different killifish that are very stunning. blue-eyed rainbowfish, they have lots of different kinds.

and if you want a bottom-dweller you could try a mexican dwarf crayfish (cpo) or other dwarf crayfish! they aren't always 100% peaceful though.

I have an empty 10 gallon that used to house a betta. i'm trying to figure out stocking choices too.

I saw some clown killifish today at my local shop, and those guys are COOL

And also, I love Blackwater tanks. Just don’t know if I can go that route. I had trouble with my driftwood tanking my ph and stalking my cycle.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
BellaBlues said:
I love honey gouramis. They are so sweet looking. No pun. Seriously.

Could one male (or female...whatever) honey gouramI serve as a centerpiece fish with some other peaceful schooling type?

There are far too many choices.
You should be alright Honeys are super peaceful. One of them with 5 or 6 Green Neons would look amazing.

Oh and that was definitely a pun.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Crispii said:
What about some celestial pearl danios?
Not opposed. I haven’t actually seen them in person yet. My tank has a lot of reds and warm tones. Would they “pop” do you think? Ember tetras are great little fish, but they are literally the same color as most of my tank.

Harlequin rasboras maybe?

I love rummynose tetras but I get the feeling that they need larger areas. I don’t know much about them.

I’m liking the green neons and honey gouramI combo...

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
BellaBlues said:
Not opposed. I haven’t actually seen them in person yet. My tank has a lot of reds and warm tones. Would they “pop” do you think? Ember tetras are great little fish, but they are literally the same color as most of my tank.

Harlequin rasboras maybe?

I love rummynose tetras but I get the feeling that they need larger areas. I don’t know much about them.

I’m liking the green neons and honey gouramI combo...
Yes. CPDs are one of the nicest looking freshwater fish.

You can also order them at WetSpot.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Rummy's and Harlequin's are too big.
Thought that may be the case. I mean, I cram my feet in high heels that don’t fit for the sake of “the look.” I can’t do this with a tank?

Kidding. Kidding. Don’t want to do that. To them or my feet.

Crispii said:
Yes. CPDs are one of the nicest looking freshwater fish.

You can also order them at WetSpot.
If they look like that in real life, they are stunning.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
BellaBlues said:
If they look like that in real life, they are stunning.
I can vouch for CPD's, small but stunning. The males are the ones with the colour females are more dull but pretty in their own way.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Well by this point I have my heart set on a honey gouramI as a centerpiece fish.

So now I just need to figure out what would complement him/her in terms of vibrance and compatibility.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Honestly I think the Green Neons would be best with the Honey or even the regular Neons. I keep my Honeys with Neons they have a great contrast. I can just imagine them in your tank.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Honestly I think the Green Neons would be best with the Honey or even the regular Neons. I keep my Honeys with Neons they have a great contrast. I can just imagine them in your tank.
I have a black backdrop too, so I believe they would really contrast well.

BakedBrotatoes

How about lampeye killifish? I think they're cool just cos you can't really see their bodies much but their blue eyes POP OUT. We have them in our 16 gallon and it's amusing to watch them.

Right now I'm really into clown killifish so I have 4 if them in my newly setup 21 gallon plus 8 ember tetras. I considered celestial pearl danios, they're rad too! Or how about emerald tetras?

Sheldon13

Well Known
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I like this idea too.

imba

Well Known
3 sparking gouramis
14 chilI rasboras
4 amano shrimp

My opinion is that honey gouramI would look too big for a 10 gallon (for scale).

Thedudeiam94

Well Known
A couple Pea puffers! Lol, it looks like a cool little jungle set up! I could just imagine them in there like a scene from tomb raider. Lol

Or a bamboo shrimp and 2 killifish with some neon tetras maybe and a nerite.

Dechi

Well Known
BellaBlues said:

Sorry, my bad, I thought I read « pearl gouramis ».

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Dechi said:
Sorry, my bad, I thought I read « pearl gouramis ».
Ah hah. Then for sure yeah.

I love the colors that endlers bring to a tank. Does there exist any world in a 10 gallon where there are 4-5 endlers and some kind of centerpiece fish.

I feel like the answer would be...yes. In a bigger tank. Lol. I’ve ran round with that idea a few times and didn’t know if 1) they would work with a few sparklers. Or 2) if the aforementioned combo would overload my bioload and just lead to unhappy fish.

Thedudeiam94 said:
A couple Pea puffers! Lol, it looks like a cool little jungle set up! I could just imagine them in there like a scene from tomb raider. Lol
Pea puffers are such cool fish. Love the tomb raider ref. Lol.

kallililly1973 said:
How about a school of lambchop rasbora and some red cherry shrimp and a nerite or 2.
Are those little guys are smaller than Harlies

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
The lamb chops will stay around 1.5” where harlequin I believe can get to 2 2.5”. Never owned either but been considering adding a school of lamb chops to my 8.8

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Let’s talk about this guy. I know nothing about these but they look super unique. Any commentary? First glance at specs say they max out at 2 in.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Wolf010 said:
Don't buy a fish u have no idea how to maintain
Thanks Wolf. I am not beyond learning proper care of whatever species prior to stocking, which is why I asked about it above (Gertrude’s blue eyed dwarf rainbow fish. Sorry mods for the link). You’re right—I don’t know much about it; I want to learn from others.

I find other people’s experience can be very educational in terms of pitfalls and challenges since much of the online literature is conflicting or flat out wrong, and I have since read through my own research that larger tanks do suit this species better, as was echoed above. Pretty good indication it’s not the right fit.

But yes, I do agree—buying anything at all blindly is a recipe for disaster. Sound advice.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful suggestions, advice, and cautions. I think I have a lot to think about, and we have probably covered most of the stocking options here.

I’ll be sure to post pictures of the tank filled within the next month or so, so keep an eye out for me. Thanks to all!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
If it were mine I would do 2 peacock gudgeons and 8-10 ember tetras or chilI rasboras

midna

Well Known
I asked my local fishkeepers group on facebook what they'd stock a 10 gallon with (using mine as example because I wanted suggestions too) and these were some suggestions, in case you want more lol:

endlers, a pair/trio of wild bettas, shrimp colony, lambchop rasboras, pair of peacock gudgeons, school of dwarf rainbowfish, lampeye killifish, clown killifish, emerald dwarf rasboras, pair of apistogramma (cacatuoides), pair of paradise gouramies, pair of longfin golden rams, scarlet badis, danionella, pygmy sunfish, least killifish

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

midna said:
I asked my local fishkeepers group on facebook what they'd stock a 10 gallon with (using mine as example because I wanted suggestions too) and these were some suggestions, in case you want more lol:

endlers, a pair/trio of wild bettas, shrimp colony, lambchop rasboras, pair of peacock gudgeons, school of dwarf rainbowfish, lampeye killifish, clown killifish, emerald dwarf rasboras, pair of apistogramma (cacatuoides), pair of paradise gouramies, pair of longfin golden rams, scarlet badis, danionella, pygmy sunfish, least killifish
Midna, these are a lot of choices. I’m always up for options and I’m truly having to give this some serious mind power. I wish I had room for a much larger tank.

I love the Rainbowfish. I saw some in person and they seem like just such a cool little fish.

What are you leaning towards in your 10 gallon?

midna

Well Known
KatLovesCoffee said:
Midna, these are a lot of choices. I’m always up for options and I’m truly having to give this some serious mind power. I wish I had room for a much larger tank.

I love the Rainbowfish. I saw some in person and they seem like just such a cool little fish.

What are you leaning towards in your 10 gallon?
i'm really not sure anymore lol. I want something bright and colourful with personality. i'm a little hesitant about the dwarf cichlids because i've never dealt with cichlids before, but they are stunning creatures. schooling nano fish are cool but don't have as much individuality. but... maybe celestial pearl danios? or a mix of micro rasboras like chili, phoenix, blue line, etc. I might also put an orange dwarf mexican crayfish in there as well, not sure.

WTFish?

Well Known
I’m partial to cpds. Wonderful, active little fish with a load of personality.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

I think this personality factor is why I have always kept bettas. It’s so much attitude in one little fish. They just don’t place nice in my past experience and I prefer to keep them alone.

I saw some of the sparkling gouramis in person, and their little personalities made them super endearing. I placed my finger on the tank and they just seemed a little more sentient regarding its presence. Their response is making me heavily consider some Sparklers with some nano fish. I’m still kicking around the honey gouramI too. It’s mostly deciding what schooling fish.

I do want a vibrant tank.

Frisbee

Well Known
If it was mine I would probably put a bunch of fun types of snails in it cause that’s just me. Shell dwelling cichlids would be really cool to though.

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Crispii said:
Have you take a look at rice fish?
I haven’t. The gentleman who owns our local shop did mention them in passing. I’ve kept fish a long time, but always stayed well within my comfort zone of variety. I’m learning a lot in a short period.

Some of those look quite pretty

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

Ok let me throw this out there:

Heavily planted Betta sorority with 5 females.

Once upon a time 10 gallon was a standard I saw a lot. Has this changed

ETA: you know what I take this back. The more I think about it I feel like it’s a bad idea. That’s awful small for such an aggressive species.

Frisbee

Well Known
KatLovesCoffee said:
Ok let me throw this out there:

Heavily planted Betta sorority with 5 females.

Once upon a time 10 gallon was a standard I saw a lot. Has this changed

ETA: you know what I take this back. The more I think about it I feel like it’s a bad idea. That’s awful small for such an aggressive species.
It seems a little small for a betta sorority

midna

Well Known
someone suggested a sorority for me too and I was like nooooooo lol. as much as I want to Collect All The Bettas, I would never put a bunch of girls in a tank that small. it's even risky in larger tanks. there's someone on instagram that has a 10 gallon sorority without any problems (that i've seen), but it's still too much risk. doesn't sit well with me. she has the prettiest koI girl.

BUT. you could easily do a sorority of wild bettas!! they aren't nearly as pretty though.

you should really go for the sparklers + a mated pair or single honey gourami!! I think it will work. you'll probably just want some more plants!

this is my tank btw. it's still not as jungley as I would like, I need to rearrange some plants. it used to be home to a single plakat betta. he recently died from some illness I was unable to cure and I swore I wouldn't get another domestic betta. too many issues, super short lifespan even if you do everything right. I bought him when he was still growing and he only lived a little over a year.

but now i'm afraid i'm going to cave and "rescue" one of those gorgeous king bettas in the tiny cups from petco. they always look so sad, they're way too big for those cups. I love to spoil my bettas. I could maybe even add a small school of ember tetras or lambchop rasboras if he's chill with it. I do hate to just have a single fish in a bigger tank lol. I did more reading up on cpds and my tank is going to be too hot for them.

20190807_155655.jpg

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

midna said:
someone suggested a sorority for me too and I was like nooooooo lol. as much as I want to Collect All The Bettas, I would never put a bunch of girls in a tank that small. it's even risky in larger tanks. there's someone on instagram that has a 10 gallon sorority without any problems (that i've seen), but it's still too much risk. doesn't sit well with me. she has the prettiest koI girl.

BUT. you could easily do a sorority of wild bettas!! they aren't nearly as pretty though.

you should really go for the sparklers + a mated pair or single honey gourami!! I think it will work. you'll probably just want some more plants!

this is my tank btw. it's still not as jungley as I would like, I need to rearrange some plants. it used to be home to a single plakat betta. he recently died from some illness I was unable to cure and I swore I wouldn't get another domestic betta. too many issues, super short lifespan even if you do everything right. I bought him when he was still growing and he only lived a little over a year.

but now i'm afraid i'm going to cave and "rescue" one of those gorgeous king bettas in the tiny cups from petco. they always look so sad, they're way too big for those cups. I love to spoil my bettas. I could maybe even add a small school of ember tetras or lambchop rasboras if he's chill with it. I do hate to just have a single fish in a bigger tank lol. I did more reading up on cpds and my tank is going to be too hot for them.

20190807_155655.jpg
That my friend is a lovely look. I have my sons betta Needles in there right now to keep my cycle going. It’s possibly I may let my tank grow in and add some more to it before stocking. (We are on a budget).

Sparklers AND honey gouramI in a 10? Is that....allowed? Lol

midna

Well Known
KatLovesCoffee said:
That my friend is a lovely look. I have my sons betta Needles in there right now to keep my cycle going. It’s possibly I may let my tank grow in and add some more to it before stocking. (We are on a budget).

Sparklers AND honey gouramI in a 10? Is that....allowed? Lol
thank you! I think so *shrugs* like 6 - 8 sparklers and one or two honeys

OP
KatLovesCoffee

KatLovesCoffee

midna said:
thank you! I think so *shrugs* like 6 - 8 sparklers and one or two honeys
I wasn’t sure If that many gouramis in one space would lead to aggression issues. I know the sparklers can get aggressive when breeding and are HARD to sex. I don’t know about the honeys.

New Threads