Heres a stupid question - I probably should know this - but don't.....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shorty, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ShortyValued MemberMember

In the lfs today I saw two types of fishes that i have never seen before - I really liked them both but I wont buy them until i know what they are.

The one was labelled as a (excuse if I spell it wrong) A Gibbiceps - that one looked like a pleco, the guy said they were related but these were not the same as the pleco's??, but I can't seem to find anything on the web for it.

The other was called A Marbled Lizard Fish - I can only seem to find the Red Marbled Lizard fish on the web - it also had a sucky mouth and they were all on the glass.

Both were labelled as good algae eaters and the guy said neither would get bigger them about 3 to 4 inches.

I really really like them both - but I told the guy I wasn't buying today and that i wanted to have a look first, can anyone give me info on these two fish, the regular stuff like how big and what they eat etc etc?

2. vinWell Known MemberMember

Is this the guy you saw? If so, he's going to get bigger than 3"-4".......Beware the guy at the fish store........ ;D

As for the other, are you sure it was a lizardfish? Most lizardfish that I've read about are reef fish......

I have seen a pleco that's called a Red Lizard Whiptail Pleco....But they get up to about 6"......

3. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I found a couple of fish with Gibbiceps in their name and only one of them looks like a pleco, but I am going to include them both here.  As far as the Marbled Lizard fish:  I found a Marbled Hatchetfish, Marbled Killifish, Marbled Eel, and Marbled Catfish.  I am guessing the Marbled Catfish may be what you saw since you say it was supposed to be a good tank type cleaner.

On some of the pictures the information is on the other page so the information is stretched out.

Rose
    :)

Attached Files:

4. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

chickadee - please credit the book titles for those photos (copyrighted work)

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

OOPS!!!! Sorry, I thought I had, just tired I guess.

Aquarium Fishes of the World by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod, Dr. Warren E. Burgess, Neal Pronek, Glen S. Axelrod, David E. Boruchowitz

pages 84 and 598 Gibbiceps pictures and information

page 413 Marbled catfish picture and information

6. ShortyValued MemberMember

Thats identified the one fish for me - it is the pleco - with that lovely sailfin - guess I wont be buying him then, lol!

But ther other is still a mystery - it is definatley tropical - not marine as they were in the tropical section - now this lfs is normally brilliant with advice and stuff - it's just that I got the young guy, who perhaps wasn't as knowledgable, I know they give good advice becuase I was looking at the sucking loaches and the usual guy told me not to buy one as they were also known as the CAE :) Lol, I would have made the cxommon error of getting one for a tank thats too small if he hadn't of stopped me!

Anyway - the fish is a marbled lizard fish - that was it's label and the label are normally good - I did get a pic of it on my phone though cause I was intrieged - the quality isn't great though I will post it when I work out how to get it off the phone and onto the pc.

7. ShortyValued MemberMember

Here we are - My mate Ricky has the same tank as me ( we are a bit sad like that - we brought the tanks together and had the same decorations too! - Lol) and he went back to the lfs and brought one of each of the mystery fish - He isn't as concerned about size as me as he has a 260 litre tank currently doing a fishless cycle and that will be ready for them soon. (I am soo jealous - but then I do have plans to go bigger myself - but I am awaiting advice - I will post a thread)

He snapped these but they are hard to get - he also has Harlies in his tank but with just 8 Harlies and these two he should be ok for now until the big tank is ready - I hope.

The Lizard fish is in the front and the gibbicep thingy on the back - any clues?

clear.gif

Heres a more blurry one of the lizard fish.

clear.gif

Attached Files:

8. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

the gibbiceps thing is a gibbiceps, or sailfin, pleco. They get as big as a common pleco.

9. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Silfins usually get larger than a common 18" that's their minimum or average.

10. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

The last couple of pictures looks like some kind of hillstream loach. They don't actually eat algae, but eat organisms in the algae. They also like cooler water than tropical fish do. Are these what you saw?

11. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

What are those fish Gunnie, are they easy to find they look really cool, the ones halfway down the page, sorry don't have time to read the whole article right now my parents are taking me out to eat soon.

12. ShortyValued MemberMember

I think it is one of those hillstream loaches - although I went to get my new tank today and asked the guy in another lfs what he thought they might be and he said a kind of butterfly plec - they stay small and have been called hong kong butterflys/plecos too. They are lovely and he said it would be ok in a community tank so long as you have airstones and good movement - although I understand that a lot of movement isn't good for all community fish.

I don't think I will get one as they seem quite different to the fish I am keeping - My mate Ricky was horrified to find out how big his cute little sailfin will be! Lucky for us the guy at the shop who has helped me loads of times has said when it gets too big he has a nice tank he could put it in and will negotiate a price for him :) The guy at the lfs only has 27 tanks of his own at home!!!! Lol, he really caught the bug :)

OOOhhh and now I have another tank :) Just a tiny little 210 litre :) I will post pics in the pictures forum, I am going to cycle it without fishes, then add my fishes and some firends for them :)

13. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

You are on a roll, my friend. I think your decision to not get the loach was a good one.

14. ShortyValued MemberMember

Gooooo and see my new tank...............................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

(sorry just a little over excited).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice