Here's a new algae I've never seen before

cpuphantom

So... just when I thought I knew all the algae types... I get this stuff:

I see the "green spot" algae on the front glass, that's easy to clean... and I see a little bit of the hair algae on the dwarf sag leaves... but that olive green "fuzz" is new to me. And I haven't found anything online that definitively describes it. Any ideas?

Little background on the tank... 10 gallon, started it at the beginning of June. Planted. 1 Betta, 2 Ember, 1 Otto, 1 Assassin. I am certain the cause was a drop in CO2. When I first setup the tank, I attempted to use one of those Fluval Micro-Co2 kits. The plants grew like gang-busters. The Bacopa so much I populated a whole other tank with it's clippings, and the dwarf sag quickly carpeted it's side of the tank and I found myself cutting runners weekly to stop it from taking over.

But those fluval kits are awful. I never could keep the bubble count constant, it would just randomly depressurize, so I decided to try and ease the tank off the gas... I didn't need a small tank growing like that and the plants supposedly did not need a lot of CO2. But that's about the time the Dwarf Sag mostly melted back and I got this olive green fuzz.

AggressiveAquatics

It looks like hair algae you can pull it out yourself

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom