Here's a an Oddity. My Calcium Bentonite Clay Tested 6.5 PH

Renaissanista

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Calcium Bentonite is supposed to be PH 9 or 10.
I had just assumed the stuff I had was in this range.
You know what assuming makes one.

I had been supplementing with a pinch here and there. Well, I found my tank was down in PH from 7.5 to 7 even with water changes of PH 8 water.
I think it was the bentonite.

Interestingly, this clay could be a safe easy way to lower PH if one could figure out the source of low ph bentonite. I have like 30 lbs of it, so I'm good. I use it for face masks and they accidental sent me like 15 lbs more than I ordered.
My shrimp had no problem with a pinch here and there and even ate some of it. I think the cumulative effect may have caused a few to have molting issues, though not sure. PH isn't that low in the tank.

In my experience, lowering PH is a lot harder than increasing it. Peat just doesn't do a lot.

I do sort of wonder if my blue diamonds like the lower PH whereas my oranges prefer higher.
My blue diamond population boomed recently. I haven't lost any blues, just some larger orange females mostly. My oranges are still breeding, so they are not uncomfortable for sure.

All my snails look great except my trapdoor who has a swirl effect on his shell and maybe erosion near his head. Could just be color changing. I suspect that the type I have changes from antique green to brown as they get older. Can't find much on this snail online.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

OP
Renaissanista

Renaissanista

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. Would be interesting if anyone had any experience with this besides me.

New Threads