Here, There, And Everywhere... Algae

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nitty gritty:
29gal tall, aquaclear 30, air stone, regular h2o changes. 7 betta, 7 neons, 2 peppered cory, 4 albino cory, 4 nerites. Hornwort, amazon sword, some other small plant I can't recall (resembles creeping jenny,) 4 mini marimo balls, small golden pothos, some fake plants for fun and also for betta hammocks.
Temp 76F
Lighting Nicrew classic LED 11w (6-8 hrs white, blue or off the remainder)
Sand substrate
Flourish liquid 2x/wk (just ordered root tabs; money's been tight!)
Parameters API master (see pics, but I think 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10? 20? nitrate; I'm always confused by pH reading, did low & high, but I do use neutralizer with each water change. )

Okay... I can't get rid of the water silk! I manually remove it, but I'm beginning to think even a trace left grows more.

I'm worried about the bluish-green stuff that keeps appearing (see pic of thermometer.)

Newest addition: the tiny bright green floating stuff (see pic on hornwort.)

Besides not (yet) using root tabs, what am I doing wrong? How can I eradicate this stupid water silk for good without using something that could shock the otherwise healthy system?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My recommendation is a good cleaning. Remove all ornaments with algae and clean them off in tap water. Filter too. Not the media just the plastic parts. Now next you can buy a few things. First a water polisher (Marineland magnum). With this you clean the glass with it running. Also clean the gravel. You can slowly churn up one area at a time. This filter will remove whatever comes out of the gravel in about 10min. By doing this you will remove the algae from the tank. Next thing to buy will be an algaecide. I use api co2 booster. This will keep the algae away and add some nutrients for the plants. Last (maybe overkill) get a uv steralizer. A must have in ponds and saltwater systems. A up will kill any algae in the water.
Takes time but does work. What kind of filter are you using and how often do you change the water?

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use various porosity of filter sponges, and biohome media. Weekly-ish 25% changes, monthly-ish 50% changes. I just did a big water change less than a week ago, and removed all I could of the water silk algae. Also scraped and scrubbed all walls. Allowed it to settle before siphoning over the sand.

I have available at my work various algaecides for ponds, including liquid barley straw extract. Lots of microbe lift, aquascape algaecide, green clean tablets...

I don't have a lot of knowledge about these chemicals (I'm in a different dept.)

Last edited by a moderator:

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are all for ponds so probably higher concentrates and not recommended for tank.The 2 I know for aquarium use are the api and flourish excell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom