Here is the tank

1. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Just started out cycling process but mom kept unplugging the filter twice will it affect it?

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, it will affect it as you need the flow of the water to provide oxygen to your nitrifying bacteria. Why does she keep unplugging it?

3. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

It's on now and that's the last time she did it I added quick start

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, I would just let her know not to unplug it for the reason mentioned.

What are you adding as your ammonia source?

5. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

It's not being touched anymore and I did quick start

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

API Quick Start? That would be your bacteria supplement to help you cycle but you still need an ammonia source to feed that bacteria. This would be in the form of waste from your fish, pure ammonia (which you can find at a hardware store), fish food or raw shrimp.

If you don't add an ammonia source, the bacteria in Quick Start will die off.

7. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

I can add food while it's being filtered I see people only use quick start

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

No, they would have also needed an ammonia source in order to cycle their tank properly.

If you're going to add fish food, keep it in a fine mesh bag or unused nylon stocking that hasn't been washed in detergent. This will prevent the fish food from making a mess of your tank. Test daily so that you don't allow the ammonia to go above 2ppm.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Aren't there usually fish in the tank when the Quick Start is added though? They would be your ammonia source;)

Nice choice of tank btw!

10. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Interesting huh thanks so much!

[​IMG]

It says it immediately starts cycle

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think she was trying to do a fishless cycle this time around?

There's no immediate cycle unless you add established media.

12. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Ok gonna sprinkle some food then

I just did!

And now it's not picking up the food

13. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What's not picking up the food?

14. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

It's fixed I started over added more water to the tank so filter can work food still on the ground tho it's not picking it up

15. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You can't rely on the filter to pick up all the food. Do you have a turkey baster? As mentioned, you should put the food in a media bag or nylon stocking to prevent making a mess.

16. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

It's only three piece of it and it's ok I will let it say there for two weeks just glad filter is working properly now lol

So someone just told me it's ok for it to be on the ground just keep putting food in the tank but I have pellets is that ok?

17. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Well, you can but picking it up will be a pain and you don't want to keep adding fish food without first knowing how much ammonia you have. You may have to add more or remove depending on high it gets to.

Have you tested for ammonia yet? Keep in mind that it takes time for fish food to break down and be converted for it to show up on the test. This is another reason why using fish food is not ideal.

18. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

Well it's my first time and I am doing my best and decided to do it fishless I will give it time and then test out how much ammonia is I just started and not want to keep messing with it

19. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I think you should start testing now, that way if you are going to use fish food as your ammonia source, you will know how much to keep adding. As well as how your cycle is progressing. Just adding 3 flakes of fish food will not be enough to cycle the tank - you need to monitor throughout. If you don't already have one, I'd recommend going out and getting an API Master Freshwater test kit. It is a little pricy (about $25.00 in my area) but will last a very long time, are much more accurate than test strips, as well as much cheaper in the long run. Are you going to add any plants to your tank?

20. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

I already have the test equipment stuff and I think I will wait for a week then test it