hemorragic scepticemia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jjc09, Mar 24, 2010.

1. j

jjc09 New Member Member

Information in the web is really scattered and non consistent. My fish are currently going through recovery of ich, today is the 5th day of the treatment. Anyways my 3 female gouramis exhibit very red fins, including the front small antenas are very red. They exhibit normal behavior, but theyre pectoral fins are veeery verrry red. Please help!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

What are you using to treat ICH?
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09 New Member Member

I keep the temperature around a steady 29 to 30˚c constantly, although in 1 or 2 occasions it has gotten down to 27 although it is fixed right away. I do 50% water changes every day and medicate with "Ick Clear".

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I can't say for sure but It may be a reaction to the meds. Keep a close eye on them.
    Keeping the water temp up and water changes for 14 days will get rid of ICH without meds also.
    Carol

5. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Hi jj09! Nice to have someone from Santo Domingo here in Fishlore. If you have ick and bacterial hemorrhagic septicemia at the same time it seems to me that you are in a catch 22 position.

Raising temperature is good for ick control, even elimination but terribly bad for bacterial infections in fish. Cooler temperatures give your fish some edge regarding bacterial infections since bacteria growth is temperature related (higher temp = higher growth rate).

If I were in your position I would continue using Ick meds while adding bacteriostatic agents, like Triple Sulfa. I would also feed only with spirulina based food. Aim at keeping the water as clean from organic compounds as possible (e.g. not allowing slime to grow in the interior walls of the tank, rinsing filter media gently in conditioned water, thorough substrate vacuum).

Medicated baths, say using Potassium Permanganate or Methylene Blue -the latter in double dosage- (one or the other do not use them together!) as directed for as much as 30 minutes once a day.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

6. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09 New Member Member

here are some pictures, they aint the best because its kinda hard with the aquarium lights off and the flash etc.

631.jpg

633.jpg

btw i know some of the fins look bitten of but its nothing fungal, they used to be territorial a while ago.

Oh also i have a small white molly/platy (dont know exactly). It spends the whooooole time it has been days and its breathing like reeeealy fast, with the mouth open. Is this normal for them? It seems healthy to me, no signs of ich or vascularity. Just breathing rapidly. Could it be because of the loss of oxygen due to the high temperatures?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09 New Member Member

any help? today i can clearly see that they have their pectoral fins clamped to their bodies, so clearly somethings going wrong in there. Please help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice