Helppppppppp!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by thorneinmyside, Apr 22, 2012.

1. thorneinmysideNew MemberMember

In the last 24hours ive had 2 other fish die this is my third that has gotten this molting looking stuff on her. whatever it is it works fast and it somehow bent her back; the other two werent bent. but they all had some sort of like white molting on their bodies. my female betta had it on her lips. this one has it on her midsection. please; what is this and how can i stop it from spreading???? Photo0829.jpg

2. STLBluesFanValued MemberMember

could you possibly tell us how long the tank has been set up, if it was cycled, and your water parameters ?

3. OP
    OP
    t

thorneinmysideNew MemberMember

been set up for about 5 months. was cycled. Parameters: pH 6.9 ammonia 0 temp 73F

fish just died. but id still like to know in case another one gets it

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!!

With some more information about your tank, we may be able to help more. Is this a community tank ? Was your new fish kept with this tank too?

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Yes please, if you could please fill out your aquarium profile it would greatly help us in offer assistance.

I am thinking some type of parasitic infection that as an end result shows as a fungus but that may be way off base. The pic is a little blurry and hard to see the particulars on.

We would love to help solve the problem but will need a bit more information .

6. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore.

Without more detail, my initial thought is that you are dealing with columnaris. Do those white patches appear to be raised or look like a cottony growth? This is the tell tale sign; and it kills extremely quickly.

7. OP
    OP
    t

this was a community, with platies swordtails mollies and guppies. all the one that got sick were in the same tank. it looks like ammonia burn but idk how it could be....

they dont look cottony but they do appear a bit raised as though their scales are molting off like a snake....

i looked this disease up and it sounds right on the dot. well, time to clean out my tanks..... i bet my guppies brought it in. i just put them in the tank about 2 weeks ago

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  8. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

What are you testing with? Strips are often inaccurate and a liquid kit could have expired. Expired/Bad kits will always return 0 PPM.

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the Forum Action link at the top of this page and select Edit Profile. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

9. OP
    OP
    t

i just got my liquid kit a few days ago when i noticed this was happening

10. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I went through columnaris once. Noticed two fish with symptoms, immediately culled them, did a 50% water change, used 1/2 dose aquarium salt and didn't lose any more fish.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

11. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

It would be a good idea to quarantine new arrivals for a while to make sure nothing undesirable works it's way in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice