HELPPP! What the heck happened to my betta!!!???

Ssnaaiil

Is this hole in the head disease?? My boy was fine the last couple days, swimming/active and eating fine. Then I get up today and realize his color is faded a lot so I watch him in his tank for a bit and realize he’s just being lazy laying on the bottom of the tank and won’t swim/move much but he eventually moves/turns a bit and I see this hole/wound!!! My poor boy!!!! What is this. The hole looks like it’s pretty deep, not sure if he is Gona make it!!! Can anyone help me? What should I do for him?

E294B895-31D9-4BB4-B123-BCA2E5199A4A.jpeg
FA8A654E-AF79-4DAC-89F3-1B45B5ACE6B3.jpeg
15BBC1A2-CDAA-4A9D-A47E-ACCDFE4D83CC.jpeg

MacZ

No, this is not hole in the head.

You might not like my guess. This looks like dwarf gourami iridovirus, which can affect all labyrinth fish.

cdwag29

Could you please fill out the emergency template? For now I would start with a large water change. Pristine water will be your best friend in cases like this.

Edit: Mac beat me to it again.

Ssnaaiil

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10g
How long has the tank been running? 2years+
Does it have a filter? Yes sponge
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 3 gallons
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? Tiny pinch( about 3 tiny pellets worth)
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Many kind
Do you feed frozen? Frozen baby brown shrimp that I hatch and freeze
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Daphnia twice a week

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Around a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Couple hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Redness, swelling and hole in side of body near gill
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Water change(6 gallons)
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lays on bottom of tank and doesn’t move much
No, this is not hole in the head.

You might not like my guess. This looks like dwarf gourami iridovirus, which can affect all labyrinth fish.
Is this iridovirus contagious? Like if I had my hand in my beta tank then put it directly into another tank could other fishes become I’ll from this virus? Does it only affect labyrinth fish or can it infect platys/guppy’s or catfish or anything?

MacZ

I haven't heard of proven cases in non-labyrinth fish. But there are reports. Among labyrinthers it's highly contagious and there is no treatment.
Just last year one LFS in my city had to cull all dwarf gourami and several bettas in stock because of it. Over 100 animals.

Ssnaaiil

I haven't heard of proven cases in non-labyrinth fish. But there are reports. Among labyrinthers it's highly contagious and there is no treatment.
Just last year one LFS in my city had to cull all dwarf gourami and several bettas in stock because of it. Over 100 animals.
Dang. This betta is my only labyrinth fish so hopefully it doesn’t spread. Does this virus stay in water/ in a tank that an infected fish was in? Say I were to get another betta and put it in the tank that this sick betta was in would the new betta get this virus? Is there anything I should be doing to help this better, other than keeping the tank water clean?

MacZ

You're asking more than is actually known.

Does this virus stay in water/ in a tank that an infected fish was in?
Nobody knows, frankly. If it's like with any other virus we have to deal with... 2 weeks and it should be safe.

Say I were to get another betta and put it in the tank that this sick betta was in would the new betta get this virus?
Not if you stay patient and wait it out. As I said, no guarantees if your other fish are infected without symptoms.

Is there anything I should be doing to help this better, other than keeping the tank water clean?
Nope. Just wait it out.

Ssnaaiil

Not if you stay patient and wait it out. As I said, no guarantees if your other fish are infected without symptoms.
Do you know What symptoms I should look out for in my other fish?

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom