Helping Plants Thrive (anubias Nana, Java Moss, Frobit Etc)

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello there,

I'm currently running a fishless cycle for the first time ever in a 5.5 gallon tank and I've already added a number of plants to make the tank a little more interesting to look at in the meantime.

At the minute I have Anubias Nana, Java Moss and Java Fern on a small piece of bogwood, two small moss balls, Salvinia, Frogbit and Java Moss on the bottom of the tank.

I was wondering what should I be adding to the tank to help the plants thrive. I've been trying to do my own research but I find it all a bit overwhelming and confusing. Haha.

At the minute I'm just using the stock light from my Fluval Spec V, which is probably less than ideal.

Thanks!

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there! Oh good. I don’t fancy having to change the light any time soon and working out how to mount it. Lol.

It’s just pet shop brand small/fine black gravel. Dosing anything for the plants? No. Not yet. I wasn’t sure what to use.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BloonStuff said:
Hi there! Oh good. I don’t fancy having to change the light any time soon and working out how to mount it. Lol.

It’s just pet shop brand small/fine black gravel. Dosing anything for the plants? No. Not yet. I wasn’t sure what to use.
Something like aquarium co-op easy green or nilocg thrive would be a good option

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! I’m going to a pet store today, so I’ll have a look to see what they have. If all else fails I’ll order online tonight.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BloonStuff said:
Thanks! I’m going to a pet store today, so I’ll have a look to see what they have. If all else fails I’ll order online tonight.
Go with Easy-Green or Nilocg Thrive, they are more comprehensive fertilizers than Seachem Flourish and contain macros such as potassium that plants need more of.

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
Go with Easy-Green or Nilocg Thrive, they are more comprehensive fertilizers than Seachem Flourish and contain macros such as potassium that plants need more of.
Hey, I don't seem to be able to find either of those in the UK.

Does anybody have any suggestions for UK equivalents?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an Anubias Nana and a Windelov Java Fern and both are doing well and growing without adding anything at all.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BloonStuff said:
Hey, I don't seem to be able to find either of those in the UK.

Does anybody have any suggestions for UK equivalents?
Perhaps Tropica makes a comprehensive fertilizer? They're a European company.

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquascaper arrived today and I’ve dosed my tank for the first time. It said 1ml per 50ls. My tank is 19ls so I used about a drop or two.

It said to use it every day. Does that sound right or...? I know instructions can’t always be trusted, so I thought I’d check.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BloonStuff said:
Aquascaper arrived today and I’ve dosed my tank for the first time. It said 1ml per 50ls. My tank is 19ls so I used about a drop or two.

It said to use it every day. Does that sound right or...? I know instructions can’t always be trusted, so I thought I’d check.
Yep, it's correct, but you don't have to if you feel it's too much of a hassle. George designed it so that plants would constantly have a stable source of nutrients, instead of overloading them and slowly letting them go "hungry" over the course of a week like some fertilizers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom