Helping Plants Thrive (anubias Nana, Java Moss, Frobit Etc)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by BloonStuff, May 18, 2018.

1. BloonStuff

BloonStuff Valued Member Member

Hello there,

I'm currently running a fishless cycle for the first time ever in a 5.5 gallon tank and I've already added a number of plants to make the tank a little more interesting to look at in the meantime.

At the minute I have Anubias Nana, Java Moss and Java Fern on a small piece of bogwood, two small moss balls, Salvinia, Frogbit and Java Moss on the bottom of the tank.

I was wondering what should I be adding to the tank to help the plants thrive. I've been trying to do my own research but I find it all a bit overwhelming and confusing. Haha.

At the minute I'm just using the stock light from my Fluval Spec V, which is probably less than ideal.

Thanks!

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The Fluval Spec stock lights after 2016 are actually pretty decent for low-medium light plants. What substrate do you have and are you dosing anything?

3. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Hi there! Oh good. I don’t fancy having to change the light any time soon and working out how to mount it. Lol.

It’s just pet shop brand small/fine black gravel. Dosing anything for the plants? No. Not yet. I wasn’t sure what to use.

4. -Mak-

Something like aquarium co-op easy green or nilocg thrive would be a good option :)

5. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

You could do Flourish comp twice a week and Flourish Trace on the off day . Just a thought.

6. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Thanks! I’m going to a pet store today, so I’ll have a look to see what they have. If all else fails I’ll order online tonight. :)

7. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Go with Easy-Green or Nilocg Thrive, they are more comprehensive fertilizers than Seachem Flourish and contain macros such as potassium that plants need more of.

8. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Hey, I don't seem to be able to find either of those in the UK.

Does anybody have any suggestions for UK equivalents?

9. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I have an Anubias Nana and a Windelov Java Fern and both are doing well and growing without adding anything at all.

10. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Perhaps Tropica makes a comprehensive fertilizer? They're a European company.

11. -Mak-

The aquascaper liquid plant food by George Farmer

12. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Aquascaper arrived today and I’ve dosed my tank for the first time. It said 1ml per 50ls. My tank is 19ls so I used about a drop or two.

It said to use it every day. Does that sound right or...? I know instructions can’t always be trusted, so I thought I’d check.

13. -Mak-

Yep, it's correct, but you don't have to if you feel it's too much of a hassle. George designed it so that plants would constantly have a stable source of nutrients, instead of overloading them and slowly letting them go "hungry" over the course of a week like some fertilizers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice