Helping new mollies trust me

TheNacho

I recently bought 2 new female balloon mollies to be friends with my older one, that I've had for 1?5 years.

I quarantined them for 2 weeks and just yesterday moved them to the 29g. They seems to be acclimating pretty well, exploring a lot and being active, they chase the older mollie a bit but not anything excessive or worrying.

The thing is, they go hide as soon as I approach the tank. There's a lot of plants so they have where to hide. My older balloon mollie already knows me of course and always comes to greet me, but the new ones don't. Is there a way to get them to trust me? There doesn't seem to be any change from when I first bought them 2 weeks ago till now..

Quiche

Hmm...if you moved them into the 29g yesterday, perhaps they're still skittish from getting used to the new tank. Give it a week or two of daily feedings, and they'll soon realize that you approaching the tank = food and come swimming towards you livebearers will do anything for food. Also, even though they were in quarantine for 2 weeks, they might not remember "you" when they moved to a new tank. I guess I'd try to tread lightly for now, literally – they might not come swimming towards you like your other molly yet, but it'll stop them from hiding at least. It'll keep them from getting scared by your footsteps, which they detect much better than visuals.
Good luck and congrats on the new fish!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • TheNacho
  • Molly
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • TheNacho
  • Molly
Replies