Helping My Apisto Mac To "heal" From Bitten Tail Fin

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by TKKG, Feb 6, 2019.

1. TKKG

TKKGNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Being relatively new to Apistos I was lucky enough to have a pair of Macmasteris spawn and I have currently 4-5 surviving Apisto fry from a batch of 30 that are now about 12 week old. These small fry swim together with similiar size platy fry in a 15 gallon tank without other fish and seem to be doing fine.

Unfortunately the male Apisto died a few weeks ago. I bought another male, somewhat smaller than the first one, and tried to make him form a pair with the old Apisto female in a separate breeding tank.
    This did not turn out well at all. The female chased him around and bit his tailfin quite badly before I could separate the two.

My plan is to reinstall them in a bigger tank, around 40 gallon, with other fish eventually and see if they find each other as a mating pair.

Until then: how can I help the male recover ? He is by himself now in the breeding tank, hiding under a ceramic pot - but seems to eat some of the flakes I give him. Will the tail fin grow out again ?
    I've added some fish medicine called "Faunamor" to prevent infections to the damaged fin.

Thanks in advance for any hints or warnings !

2. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +846
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Anti-bacterial preventative dosing is good. Just keep the water very clean, water changes will encourage fin regrowth. So long as the damage hadn't got to the fleshy part of the tail base, it should be okay.

I had got a beat up jaguar cichlid baby from one of the lfs, he had a huge split in his tail. Now you wouldn't have ever known his tail was beat up.

3. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +980
    Experience:
    5 years
    Stay on top of your water changes, if the female is bigger than the male she may kill him. I would keep him separate till he is larger than her. When introducing a new mate I like to keep them separate in there own tank about inch or so apart side by side with a partition between them so they cant see each other for a week or two and condition them with good food, than remove the block for a week or so, than put the male with the female. It works for me. Good luck

4. OP
    OP
    TKKG

TKKGNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks a lot for Your advises. I will be observant on water changes and water quality. It sounds good that You have had fishes that recovered from fin damage. I will try to post an update !