Helping Cycle A New Tank

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! This is probably a really dumb question but I have no idea if it will work. I currently have a cycled 20 gallon tank that has an Aqueon Quietflow 30 filter and a pre filter sponge covering the intake. I want to try and jump start a cycle on my 10 gallon tank that is running with only a sponge filter currently.

I have been trying to use the fish food method to cycle it but it's not working very well. I'm wondering if I can take the pre filter sponge from my 20 and put it next to the sponge filter in my 10 gallon to help get beneficial bacteria growing in that tank? I have no way to actually connect it to the sponge filter though so I have no idea if it will even do anything?? I don't have any spare biological media in the 20 other that the pre filter sponge.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can’t hurt.

I would use something (thread?) to tie it directly to the sponge.

You won’t get an instant cycle but it may speed up the process.

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If I buy some ceramic rings or something and put them in the 20 gallon for a while will I be able to take them out to transfer an instant cycle? If so how long in the 20 gallon?

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so after a few days with the sponge in the tank I've got readings of 1.0ppm ammonia and 1.0ppm nitrite, with nitrates still at 0ppm. Is it normal for there to be ammonia and nitrite at the same time? I thought the ammonia would go down to 0? Should I still be dumping fish food into the tank every day?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom