helping a traumatized community fish??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by majalis, Jul 26, 2015.

1. majalisNew MemberMember

So I've recently taken an interest in rosy red minnows, and have being trying to keep a 10 gallon tank of them.

I started off with 4, and all but one died. I couldn't find the last one a couple days after that so I just assumed he went as well.

That weekend (after 3 days after I stopped putting food in the tank) I discovered the lone survivor was still alive, if terrified and extremely skittish. I did a water change and fed him, but didn't manage to get him two more friends until 2-3 days later. That's almost a week alone after all his friends died.

At first he came out and very insistently checked them out. I wondered if he was being territorial, but since they're schooling fish I put that out of my mind. Now he's hiding in his usual spot while the other two swim outside!

I wanted to eventually go up to at least 6 fish so everyone could feel safe and happy, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea and drive my survivor suicidal??

I had a scissortail rasbora jump the tank in the past because he wasn't fitting in with the others of his species. Does he just need time to get used to things? Should I rearrange the tank? What can I do??

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Your tank is too small for the minnows, they require at least a 20 gallon. The scissor tail grows to at least 5" and will need something like a 40 gallon tank. It's probably why it jumped, not enough swim space.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I'm gonna assume your tank isn't cycled...
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    m

majalisNew MemberMember

Hi Dom,

What's your basis for the recommendation of 20g? I'd done some research but only saw 5g-10g mins for rosy reds. Is it based on a different min school size? I started the minnow tank with an equal mix of treated tap and water from my established guppy tank; also threw some anacharis in there for my peace of mind.

My rasboras were pretty new at the time (abt 3 weeks, ~2.5"), and the jumper was always by himself, away from the group. Everyone else was doing well and I didn't see any symptoms of disease, so I assumed some sort of bullying.

My problem right now is the way my first minnow, who'd been alone a while, is behaving. I don't want him to go under more stress than he has already. It seems like putting more fish in hasn't helped as I hoped, though a lone schooling fish should theoretically be relieved to have more of his own kind, right?

If it has anything to do with sex, do you have any suggestions? Sexing rosy reds is near impossible for me, especially given I've never seen a minnow become ready for breeding in a store tank.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The only schooling fish that really work in a 10g are ember tetras. They only grow up to 1". It says here that these minnows can grow up to 2-3". I wouldn't use anything less than 20 gallons for 2" schooling fish. Is your tank cycled? Do you have a test kit to check water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Vince66Valued MemberMember

I would say that a good rule of thumb is to go with the biggest tank you can afford and that you also have space for. bigger tanks can be easier to maintain as far as the nitrogen cycle. A larger volume of water will allow will allow more time for beneficial bacteria to keep ammonia and nitrite down before the level rises. 20 gallon I would agree would be a good size or 40 would be ideal. Of course this just my opinion.

6. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Tank sizes aside, I would actually add in more to get their numbers up to 6 - 8 and it will probably start feeling safe again and will come out.
    when alone they shoal more than they school but they will feel comfortable and their colors will brighten up when they do.

Personally I have White Clouds and think they'd be fine in a 10g because their bio-load is small, smaller than guppies so they do get to be about 2" but that would be pushing it I think. Mine are abut an inch and a half and they're very thin fish in comparison to more bulky breeds like platies etc. They eat tiny amounts of food.

As far as telling females and males apart, the male is thin, streamined looking. The females look like they have pot bellies is the easiest way to describe it. Mine have never bred but they are in my tropical tank so in warmer water then would be ideal to breed it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice