Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthdufus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Brother's tank has been having some problems lately, fish have been dying left and right. At first we noticed that their tails were deteriorating and looking ragged and torn up, then they were breathing hard from their mouths and finally we knew they were done for when we saw that some of their back halves had completely stiffened up. Their tails were completely gone and their back halves were almost completely white. They were still alive but just floating around inside the tank flapping their fins like crazy. Can you guys help me out?! What is this disease and how can we treat it?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you could give us more information about your be=rothet's tank, it'll help the members try and figure this out.
Tank size?
How many and what kind of fish?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Has anyything been added (fish, deco, additives)?
What's the temp?

Edit: we must have been typing at the same time. What kind of pleco and gourami?

OP
D

darthdufus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its a common plec i believe (we have a 50gal to move it to once it gets too big for the 10gal) and its a golden gourami. The gourami was added a couple weeks ago and it had ich which we treated right away. and i'm doing a test on the amonia/nitrate/etc. right niow so ill post those results in a few.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fish you listed, are they whats left in the tank?
How many fish and what kind did your brother lose?
The pleco is already too big for a 10g. It's not only their size, but it produces too much waste for that amount of water.

A couple of things might be going on.
It would really help to know the ammonia reading.
A fish can have ich in it's gills and you wouldn't be able to see it.

If you haven't changed the water recently, that would be a good place to start.

OP
D

darthdufus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
those are the fish that are left. so far he's lost: 3 adult swordtails and 4 babies. We are moving the pleco now and we're gonna do a partial water change right now as well. I'll pick up some Amonia tests tomorrow, is there a medicine that can treat finrot taht i should get as well? Thanks for all of the help!

OP
D

darthdufus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When we checked the tank this morning the fry were all covered in ick so I think that is the problem

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw, poor little guys, you can treat it with meds or (more natural approach and not as harmful to the delicate fry) raise the temp to 86 for 2 full weeks, vacuuming your gravel twice a week to pick up fallen ICH spores...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom