HELP!

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just looked into my 10 gallon tank and one of my cories is dead!!!! He looked funny.. so when i took him out i checked him out. it almost looked like his intestines were red... something inside was dark red? I have 2 small angels and 2 small platys in with my cories... would one of the angels beat him up? Ive watched the angels carfully for the past few days to see if there were any problems but nothing.. my readings are Ammonia=O Nitrite=O and Nitrate is zero... wierd! anything will help.. i just did a 25 percent water change a few days ago.. maybe thats why there is no nitrate..????
Thanks in advance.. Jenn :'(

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The red stuff in his intestines is probably food. I don't think any of the fish you have would have beaten him up... I'm at a loss for this one! Sorry I can't be of any help :-[

Poor little guy, they are soo cute. I love mine, I have the emerald green kind.

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks.. im still at a loss as to what to do i guess just watch the others.. thanks though

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
How old was the cory? Could have been a disease not associated with the water quality. Doubt if the bigger fish were picking on him. Poor guy, though. Sorry for your loss :'( They are so cool. I love all 4 of mine dearly.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
bbfeckawitts said:
I love mine, I have the emerald green kind.
The emerald green ones are so cool! I have one too and he's just so cool looking!

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i think i might be feeding too much! :'(

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Maybe you were feeding too much. just monitor how much they eat. They shouldn't eat too much, at least more than they can handle. This one may have, though.

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yea i was doing a medium size feeding every other day.. now ive started to feed very small amount 2 times a day.. and breaking the wafers instead of giving a whole one. and they already look not as fat.. ive read many different places less is better than more.. in the wild they dont have to compete with fat ect.. thanks for all your help.. RIP cory cat.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jenn said:
yea i was doing a medium size feeding every other day.. now ive started to feed very small amount 2 times a day.. and breaking the wafers instead of giving a whole one. and they already look not as fat.. ive read many different places less is better than more.. in the wild they dont have to compete with fat ect.. thanks for all your help.. RIP cory cat.
I'm not sure why your cory died, but from reading the replies, I'd have to go with too much food also. I'd have thought ammonia poisoning except you got a 0 result.. and with peaceful tankmates, doesn't seem to be an attack-victim thing, especially with how speedy the little corys are.. how are the others looking? They sure are fun little fish and we'll have them in EVERY Betta tank once we find a way to feed them & keep the hungry Bettas from eating their food (even happens when we feed the corys at night.)

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
now the others arent as active ,they will lay veeeerrrry still on the bottom and then dart around and then still for a while.. not as active as they were maybe if i get another for them to play with..

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jenn said:
now the others arent as active ,they will lay veeeerrrry still on the bottom and then dart around and then still for a while.. not as active as they were maybe if i get another for them to play with..
we have 2 in the platy tank and 4 in one of the betta tanks. i know people say 3 or more is best, but the 2 in the platy tank are happy & active and all that 10 gallon tank could hold with 4 platys, but ours are julii corys, so maybe they're ok in groups of 2.

I'd try adding a new buddy for your albinos. Could be in their own way, they miss the buddy they've lost. And i could be wrong, but I think albinos are more timid and maybe they feel 'outnumbered' with just 2 of them and the other fish.

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks thats what im thinking! but my 10 gallon is overstocked now with the angels and my 29 gallon is takeing longer than i hoped. so ill wait until the angels are mooved to get another cory buddie. i also made a little cave for them out of PVC and they seem more lively ( so maybe they were scared) the cave helped them to be less shy!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
An overstocked tank always means bad news. There is that one inch of fish per gallon of water rule again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom